Insertion of fluorophore dyes between Cloisite Na+ layered for preparation of novel organoclays
The aim of this study was to obtain novel photo-functional organomontmorillonites from the intercalation reaction of Cloisite Na+ and fluorescent dyes of auramine O, and safranin T in an aqueous solution. The insertion of surfactants in the interlamellar space of nanoclay was followed by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and X-ray measurements. An X-ray diffraction analysis established that incorporation of the organic dye cations into the Cloisite Na+ expands remarkably the mineral interplanar distances from 1.17 to 1.83–1.97 nm. Field emission scanning electron microscopy was used to study the morphology of the synthesized organoclays. The thermal behavior of the novel hybrid materials was investigated by thermogravimetric analysis and the results show that the organo modified clays verify stepwise decomposition corresponding to initial weight loss from residual water desorption, followed by decomposition of the fluorescent dyes and the dehydroxylation of structural water of the clay layers. Fluorescence properties of the cationic dyes, auramine O, and safranin T incorporated in the clay have significant differences from their behavior in organic solvents and water and the results show that both dyes exhibit a significant fluorescence emission at room temperature when adsorbed in clay.
KeywordsMontmorillonite Cationic surfactant Organoclays Fluorophore dyes X-ray diffraction
- 1.Utracki, L.A.: Clay-Containing Polymeric Nanocomposites, vol. 1. Rapra Technology Limited, Shawbury (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Panyala, N.R., Pena-Mendez, E.M., Havel, J.: Silver or silver nanoparticles: a hazardous threat to the environment and human health. J. Appl. Biomed. 6, 117–129 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Ruiz-Hitzky, E., Van Meerbeeck, A.: Clays in industry. In: Bergaya, F., Theng, B.K.G., Lagaly, G. (eds.) Handbook of Clay Science. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2006)Google Scholar
- 32.Shah, K.M.: Handbook of Synthetic Dyes and Pigments, 2nd edn. Multitech Publishing Co., India (1998)Google Scholar
- 33.Mallakpou, S., Dinari, M.: Preparation, characterization, and thermal properties of organoclay hybrids based on trifunctional natural amino acids. J Therm. Anal. Calorim. (2012). doi:10.1007/s10973-012-2375-6