Study on the inclusion interaction of ethyl violet with cyclodextrins by MWNTs/Nafion modified glassy carbon electrode
The interactions of ethyl violet (EV) with cyclodextrins (CDs) were investigated by Multi-wall carbon nanotubes/Nafion composite film modified glassy carbon electrode (MWNTs/Nafion/GCE). It was found that the MWNTs/Nafion composite film can effectively catalyze the electrode reaction of EV. The variation of the electrochemical behavior of EV upon the addition of CDs indicated the formation of the inclusion complexes of EV with β-CD, heptakis (2,3,6-tri-O-methyl)-β-CD (TM-β-CD), heptakis (2,6-di-O-methyl)-β-CD (DM-β-CD), hydroxypropyl-β-CD (HP-β-CD), and carboxymethyl-β-CD (CM-β-CD). The stoichiometry ratios of EV and the above five CDs were found to be 1:1. The inclusion ability obeyed the order: CM-β-CD > HP-β-CD > TM-β-CD > DM-β-CD > β-CD. The results showed that the modified β-CDs exhibited stronger binding ability than native β-CD, especially the charged CM-β-CD, which implied that the inclusion capacity depends on not only size matching and hydrophobicity but also electrostatic interaction. 1HNMR spectra and molecule mechanics calculations suggested that EV was included into the cavity of β-CD from the wider side.
KeywordsEthyl violet Carbon nanotubes Nafion Cyclodextrin Differential pulse voltammetry
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No: 20875059) and the Natural Science Foundation of Shanxi Province of China (No: 2009011012-1).
- 1.He, H.L.: Dyes. Chemical Industry Press, Beijing (2004)Google Scholar
- 32.Bard, A.J., Faulkner, L.R.: Electrochemical Methods Fundamentals and Applications, p. 222. Wiley, New York (1980)Google Scholar
- 33.Bond, A.M.: Modern Polarographic Methods in Analytical Chemistry, p. 27. Marcel Dekker, New York (1980)Google Scholar
- 34.Tong, L.H., Shen, B.J.: Physical Methods in Supramolecular Chemistry Research. Science Press, Beijing (2004)Google Scholar
- 35.Li, N.Q., Gao, X.X.: Polarographic catalytic wave study of vanadium-Ι. Chin. J. Anal. Chem. 1, 40–48 (1973)Google Scholar
- 36.Li, N.Q., Gao, X.X.: Polarographic catalytic wave study of vanadium-II. Chin. J. Anal. Chem. 2, 459–461 (1974)Google Scholar
- 38.Qi, W.B., Qi, Z.H.: New Analytical Synergistic Agent. Hangzhou University Press, Hangzhou (1994)Google Scholar