Mechanical and physico-chemical characterization of cyclodextrin finished polyamide fibers
- 256 Downloads
We present the study of the cyclodextrin (CDs) finishing of polyamide fibers (PA) by means of citric acid (CTR) as crosslinking agent. We observed that the mode of grafting happened by the formation of a crosslinked polymer formed between CTR and CDs. This polymer physically adhered to the fibers network and was resistant to hot water washings.
Modified fibers were characterized by evaluating the contact angle with a polar liquid and by studying the hysteresis of damping of PA fibers (Cahn balance) with various grafting rates and by studying the absorptivity of grafted fabrics via the technique of the posed drop
(Digidrop® instrument). Then a mechanical characterization of the PA fabrics grafted with various proportions of CDs was accomplished, by traction and tear tests by using a tensile-test bench Lohmergy. Finally a topographic study of PA grafted surfaces was approached by atomic force microscopy (AFM and LFM; contact and non-contact mode) which permitted to evaluate the roughness and the chemical heterogeneity of the grafted surfaces.
KeywordsPolyamid-6-6-fibers Cyclodextrin Citric acid Textile finishing
- 1.Szejtli, J., Zsadon, B., Fenyvesi, E., Horvarth, O., Tudos, F.: US Patent 4,357,468 (1982)Google Scholar
- 2.Poulakis, K., Buschmann, H.J., Schollmeyer, E.: German Patent DE 40 35 378 A1 (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Denter, U., Schollmeyer, E.: In: Szejtli, J., Szente, L. (eds.) Proc. VIIIth Int. Cycl. Symp. Budapest, pp. 553–558. (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Weltrowski M., Martel B., Morcellet M.: Patent PCT 00378 (2000), US 09/913,448 (2001), CA 2,362,534 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Welsch, C.M.: Durable press finishing of cotton with polycarboxylic acids. Text. Res. J. 58, 480 (1988)Google Scholar
- 9.Elgoul, Y., Martel, B., Morcellet, M., Campagne, C., El Achari, A.: Finishing of polyamide fabrics with cyclodextrins-polycarboxylic acids polymers. In: Duchene, D. (ed.) Proc. XIIth Int. Cyclodextrins Symp. , Montpellier, pp. 651–654, (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Blanchemain, N., Haulon, S., Boschin, F., Marcon-Bachari, E., Traisnel, M., Morcellet, M., Hildebrand, H.F., Martel, B.: Vascular Prostheses with controlled release of antibiotics–Part 1: surface modifications with cyclodextrin of PET vascular prostheses. Biomol. Eng. (2006, in press)Google Scholar