Object Recognition and Semantic Mapping for Underwater Vehicles Using Sonar Data
- 88 Downloads
The application of robots as a tool to explore underwater environments has increased in the last decade. Underwater tasks such as inspection, maintenance, and monitoring can be automatized by robots. The understanding of the underwater environments and the object recognition are required features that are becoming a critical issue for these systems. On this work, a method to provide a semantic mapping on the underwater environment is provided. This novel system is independent of the water turbidity and uses acoustic images acquired by Forward-Looking Sonar (FLS). The proposed method efficiently segments and classifies the structures in the scene using geometric information of the recognized objects. Therefore, a semantic map of the scene is created, which allows the robot to describe its environment according to high-level semantic features. Finally, the proposal is evaluated in a real dataset acquired by an underwater vehicle in a marina area. Experimental results demonstrate the robustness and accuracy of the method described in this paper.
KeywordsRobot vision Underwater robot Semantic mapping Object recognition Forward looking sonar
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We thank to CNPq, CAPES, FAPERGS, Oil Brazilian Agency, PRH-27 FURG-ANP/MCT and IBP – Brazillian Petroleum, Gas and Biofuels Institute to support this research. This paper is a contribution of the INCT-Mar COI funded by CNPq Grant Number 610012/2011-8 and CAPES-DGPU project BS-NAVLOC (CAPES no 321/15, DGPU 7523/14-9, MEC project PHBP14/00083): Brazil-Spain cooperation on navigation and localization for autonomous robots on terrestrial and underwater environments.
- 2.Bradski, G.: The OpenCV library. Dr. Dobb’s J. Softw. Tools Prof. Prog. 25 (11), 120–123 (2000). ISSN: 1044–789X, http://www.drdobbs.com/open-source/the-opencv-library/184404319 Google Scholar
- 3.Chang, C.C., Lin, C.J.: Libsvm: a library for support vector machines. ACM Trans. Intell. Syst. Technol. (TIST) 2(3), 27 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Cho, H., Pyo, J., Gu, J., Jeo, H., Yu, S.C.: Experimental results of rapid underwater object search based on forward-looking imaging sonar. In: Underwater Technology (UT), 2015 IEEE, pp 1–5 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1109/UT.2015.7108235
- 5.Galceran, E., Djapic, V., Carreras, M., Williams, D.P.: A real-time underwater object detection algorithm for multi-beam forward looking sonar. Navigation, Guidance and Control of Underwater Vehicles (NGCUV) 3, 306–311 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Guo, J., Cheng, S.W., Liu, T.C.: Auv obstacle avoidance and navigation using image sequences of a sector scanning sonar. In: Proceedings of the 1998 International Symposium on Underwater Technology, 1998, pp 223–227 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1109/UT.1998.670096
- 7.Guth, F., Silveira, L., Botelho, S.S., Drews, P. Jr., Ballester, P.: Underwater slam: challenges, state of the art, algorithms and a new biologically-inspired approach. In: IEEE 5th RAS/EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, pp 1–6 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Hurtós, N.V.: Forward-Looking Sonar Mosaicing for Underwater Environments. Ph.D. Thesis, Universitat de Girona (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Lu, Y., Sang, E.: Underwater target’s size/shape dynamic analysis for fast target recognition using sonar images. In: Proceedings of the 1998 International Symposium on Underwater Technology, 1998, pp 172–175 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1109/UT.1998.670085
- 13.Negahdaripour, S., Firoozfam, P., Sabzmeydani, P.: On processing and registration of forward-scan acoustic video imagery. In: Proceedings the 2nd Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision, 2005, pp 452–459 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1109/CRV.2005.57
- 16.Santos, M.M., Drews, P. Jr., Nunez, P., Botelho, S.S.C.: Semantic mapping on underwater environment using sonar data. In: IEEE 13th Latin American Robotics Symposium LARS, pp 1–6 (2016)Google Scholar
- 17.Silveira, L., Guth, F., Drews, P., Ballester, P., Machado, M., Codevilla, F., Duarte, N., Botelho, S.: An open-source bio-inspired solution to underwater SLAM. In: IFAC Workshop on Navigation, Guidance and Control of Underwater Vehicles NGCUV (2015)Google Scholar
- 18.Thrun, S.: Robotic mapping: a survey. In: Exploring Artificial Intelligence in the New Millennium, pp 1–35 (2003)Google Scholar