Model Predictive Control of a Flexible Links Mechanism
- 456 Downloads
Vibration suppression in flexible link manipulator is a recurring problem in most robotic applications. Solving this problem would allow to increase many times both the operative speed and the accuracy of manipulators. In this paper an innovative controller for flexible-links mechanism based on MPC (Model Predictive Control) with constraints is proposed. So far this kind of controller has been employed almost exclusively for controlling slow processes, like chemical plants, but the authors’ aim is to show that this approach can be successfully adapted to plants whose dynamical behavior is both nonlinear and fast changing. The effectiveness of this control system will be compared to the performance obtained with a classical industrial control. The reference mechanism chosen to evaluate the effectiveness of this control strategy is a four-link closed loop planar mechanism laying on the horizontal plane driven by a torque-controlled electric actuator.
KeywordsModel predictive control MPC Four-link mechanism Vibration Constrained optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Perez, T., Goodwin, G.C., Tzeng, C.W.: Model predictive rudder roll stabilization control for ships. In: Proc. 5th IFAC Conf. on Manouvering and Control of Marine Craft, Aalborg, Denmark (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Bleris, L.G., Vouzis, P.D., Arnold, M.G., Kothare, M.V.: A Co-Processor FPGA Platform for the Implementation of Real-Time Model Predictive Control American Control Conference 2006 (ACC’06), Minneapolis, Minnesota, 14–16 June 2006Google Scholar
- 6.Murray, R.M., Hauser, J., Jadbabie, A., Milam, M.B., Petit, N., Dunbar, W.B., Franz, R.: Online control customization via aptimization-based control. In: Samad, T., Balas, G. (eds.) Software-Enabled Control. IEEE and Wiley, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Ling, K.V., Yue, S.P., Maciejowski, J.: A FPGA implementation of model predictive control. In: Proceedings of American Control Conference, 14–16 June 2006Google Scholar
- 9.He, M., Chen, C., Zhang, X.: FPGA implementation of a recursive rank one updating matrix inversion algorithm for constrained MPC. Intell. Control Autom. 1, 733–737 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Boscariol, P., Gasparetto, A., Zanotto, V.: Vibration reduction in a single-link flexible mechanism trough the synthesis of an MPC controller. In: Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics, Malaga, Spain, 14–17 April 2009Google Scholar
- 17.Caracciolo, R., Ceresole, E., Giovagnoni, M.: Control experiment of a flexible robot arm using the floating frame model. J. Robot. Mechatronics 8, 112–121 (1996)Google Scholar
- 21.Maciejowski, J.M.: Predictive Control with Constraints. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2002)Google Scholar