Process parameter optimization for laser-magnetic welding based on a sample-sorted support vector regression
- 179 Downloads
Magnetic field assisted laser welding (LW-MF) shows great potential in the jointing of large structures. The quality of the welding joint in LW-MF largely depends on the selection of process parameters. In this study, an integrated process parameter optimization framework is developed for magnetic field assisted laser welding. Firstly, Taguchi method is selected to generate sample points and the LW-MF experiments are carried out to obtain the bead geometrical characteristics. Secondly, a sample-sorted SVR (SS-SVR) metamodeling approach is developed to make full use of the already-acquired prediction error information for fitting the relationships between multiple process parameters and the bead geometrical characteristics. A detailed comparison between the developed SS-SVR metamodeling approach and existing SVR metamodeling approach for prediction accuracy is performed. Then, the particle swarm optimization is used to solve the process parameters optimization problem, in which the objective function values are predicted by the developed SS-SVR metamodel. Finally, verification experiment is conducted to verify the reliability of the obtained optimal process parameters. Results illustrate that the proposed integrated process parameter optimization framework is effective for obtaining the optimal process parameters and can be used in LW-MF for practical production.
KeywordsProcess parameters Magnetic field Laser welding Support vector regression Particle swarm optimization algorithm
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) under Grant No. 61703385 and International S&T Cooperation Program of China (ISTCP) under Grant No. 2016YFE0121700.
- Chaki, S., Bathe, R. N., Ghosal, S., & Padmanabham, G. (2015). Multi-objective optimisation of pulsed Nd: YAG laser cutting process using integrated ANN–NSGAII model. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10845-015-1100-2.
- Chen, J., Wei, Y., Zhan, X., & Pan, P. (2017). Weld profile, microstructure, and mechanical property of laser-welded butt joints of 5A06 Al alloy with static magnetic field support. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-017-0268-3.
- Hu, X., Eberhart, R. C., & Shi, Y. (2003). Engineering optimization with particle swarmed. In Swarm Intelligence Symposium, SIS’03. Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE (pp. 53–57). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- Rong, Y., Zhou, Q., Huang, Y., Chang, Y., Zhang, G., & Shao, X. (2015). Multi-objective optimization of laser brazing with the crimping joint using ANN and NSGA-II. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 85(5–8), 1239–1247.Google Scholar
- Singh, A., Cooper, D. E., Blundell, N., Pratihar, D. K., & Gibbons, G. J. (2014). Modelling of weld-bead geometry and hardness profile in laser welding of plain carbon steel using neural networks and genetic algorithms. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 27(7), 656–674.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou, Q., Rong, Y., Shao, X., Jiang, P., Gao, Z., & Cao, L. (2016b). Optimization of laser brazing onto galvanized steel based on ensemble of metamodels. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10845-015-1187-5.