Resource scheduling based on energy consumption for sustainable manufacturing
- 640 Downloads
The paper proposes an agent-based approach for measuring in real time energy consumption of resources in job-shop manufacturing processes. Data from industrial robots is collected, analysed and assigned to operation types, and then integrated in an optimization engine in order to estimate how alternating between makespan and energy consumption as objective functions affects the performances of the whole system. This study focuses on the optimization of energy consumption in manufacturing processes through operation scheduling on available resources. The decision making algorithm relies on a decentralized system collecting data about resources implementing thus an intelligent manufacturing control system; the optimization problem is implemented using IBM ILOG OPL.
KeywordsIntelligent manufacturing Scheduling Robotics Agent-based approach
This work is partially supported by the Sectoral Operational Program Human Resources Development (SOP HRD), financed from the European Social Fund and the Romanian Government under the contract number POSDRU/159/1.5/S/137390/ of the University Politehnica of Bucharest.
Compliance with ethical standards
The corresponding author has the approval of all other listed authors for the submission and publication of all versions of the manuscript entitled: “Resource scheduling based on energy consumption for sustainable manufacturing”. All authors of the submission have made a significant independent contribution and that no one who justifies being an author has been omitted from authorship. The manuscript has not been submitted to more than one journal for simultaneous consideration. No data have been fabricated or manipulated (including images) to support your conclusions.
- Adept Cobra s600/s800 Robot, User’s Guide, consulted in June 2015.Google Scholar
- Adept Viper s650/s850 Robot with MB-60R/eMB-60R, User’s Guide, consulted in June 2015.Google Scholar
- Borangiu, T. (2003). Advanced robot motion control. Romanian Academy Press & AGIR Press, Bucharest, ISBN 973-27-0968-1.Google Scholar
- Diouri, M. M., Dolz, M. F., Gluck, O., Lefevre, L., Alonso, P., Catalan, S., et al. (2014). Assessing power monitoring approaches for energy and power analysis of computers. Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems, 4(2), 68–82.Google Scholar
- Dugan, R. C., Santoso, S., McGranaghan, M. F., & Beaty, H. W. (2012). Electrical power systems quality (3rd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Paryanto, P. M. B., Kohl, J., Merhof, J., Spreng, S., & Franke, J. (2014). Energy consumption and dynamic behavior analysis of a six-axis industrial robot in an assembly system. In 5th CATS 2014—CIRP conference on assembly technologies and systems (Vol. 23, pp. 131–136)Google Scholar
- Pechmann, A., & Schöler, I. (2011). Optimizing energy costs by intelligent production scheduling. In J. Hesselbach & C. Herrmann (Eds.), Glocalized Solutions for Sustainability in Manufacturing (pp. 293–298). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Prabhu, V. V. (2012). Services for competitive and sustainable manufacturing in the smart grid. In T. Borangiu, D. Trentesaux, & A. Thomas (Eds.) Springer book series “Studies in Computational Intelligence”, Service Orientation in Holonic and Multi-Agent Manufacturing Control (Vol. 402, pp. 227–240)Google Scholar
- Rachuri, S., Sriram, R. D., Narayanan, A., Sarkar, P., Lee, J. H., Lyons, K., & Kemmerer, S. (Eds.) (2010). Sustainable manufacturing: Metrics, standards, and infrastructure. In Workshop Report,” NISTIR 7683, 2010.Google Scholar
- Raileanu, S., Borangiu, T., Morariu, O., & Stocklosa, O. (2014). ILOG-based mixed planning and scheduling system for job-shop manufacturing. In Proceedings volume of 2014 IEEE International Conference on Automation, Quality and Testing, Robotics AQTR’14, Cluj-Napoca.Google Scholar
- Trentesaux, D., & Prabhu, V. (2014). Sustainability in manufacturing operations scheduling: Stakes, approaches and trends, advances in production management systems. Innovative and Knowledge-Based Production Management in a Global-Local World, IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 439, 106–113.Google Scholar
- www.arduino.cc, consulted in June 2015.
- www.constraintsolving.com/solvers, consulted in June 2015.
- www.ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/h2020-section/secure-clean-and-efficient-energy, consulted in April 2015.
- www.openenergy.com, consulted in June 2015.