Novel strategies for global manufacturing systems interoperability
- 685 Downloads
This paper reviews some of the most recently reported research into novel strategies for global manufacturing systems interoperability. Such research can be categorised as addressing four broad topic areas: the sensing manufacturing enterprise; semantics and knowledge management in manufacturing; service orientation and the need for negotiation; and business interoperability. Thus we identify a spectrum of research from the management of hardware and virtual sensing devices, through the semantic interpretation of the data and information generated by these, and its utilisation to support the collaborative manufacturing network lifecycle through service oriented software, and ultimately the provision of effective business interoperability. This study includes conceptual, theoretical, empirical and technological contributions, illustrated by real examples and demonstrating the novelty in comparison with previously reported results. The paper concludes elaborating final considerations on novel strategies for global manufacturing systems interoperability.
KeywordsEnterprise interoperability Global manufacturing Sensing manufacturing enterprise Semantics and knowledge management in manufacturing Service orientation Negotiation Value proposition Business interoperability
The authors acknowledge the projects ISOFIN and PRODUTECH, co-financed by IAPMEI and the European Funds QREN COMPETE. Also, the European Commission for funding the projects IMAGINE nr 285132, (www.imagine-futurefactory.eu/), FITMAN nr 604674 (http://www.fitman-fi.eu), and OSMOSE nr 610905 (http://www.osmose-project.eu), and Fundação da Ciência e Tecnologia for funding our research units.
- Behnamian, J., & Ghomi, S. (2014). A survey of multi-factory scheduling. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-014-0890-y.
- Berre, A., et al. (2007). The ATHENA interoperability framework. In 3rd International conference on interoperability for enterprise software and applications (I-ESA’07). Funchal, Madeira: Springer.Google Scholar
- Broll, G., Rukzio, E., Paolucci, M., et al. (2009). Perci: Pervasive Service Interaction with the Internet of Things. Internet Computing, IEEE. 13(6):74–81. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/lpdocs/epic03/wrapper.htm?arnumber=5262929. Accessed 8 June 2014
- Charalabidis, Y., Lampathaki, F., Kavalaki, A., & Askounis, D. (2010). A review of interoperability frameworks: patterns and challenges. International Journal of Electronic Governance (IJEG), 3(2), 189–221. Inderscience Publications.Google Scholar
- Chhun, S., Moalla, N., & Ouzrut, Y. (2014). QoS ontology for service selection and reuse. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-013-0855-6.
- Coutinho, C., Cretan, A., Silva, C., Ghodous, P., & Jardim-Goncalves, R. (2014). Service-based negotiation for advanced collaboration in enterprise networks. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-013-0857-4.
- Cretan, A., Coutinho, C., Bratu, B., & Jardim-Goncalves, R. (2012). NEGOSEIO: A framework for negotiations toward sustainable enterprise interoperability. Annual Reviews in Control, 36(2), 291–299. ISSN:1367–5788.Google Scholar
- Danila, C., Stegaru, G., Stanescu, A., & Serbanescu, C. (2014). Web-service based architecture to support SCM context-awareness and interoperability. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-014-0898-3.
- Ducq, Y., Chen, D., & Alix, T. (2012). Principles of servitization and definition of an architecture for model driven service system engineering. In 4th International IFIP working conference on enterprise interoperability (IWEI 2012). Harbin: Springer.Google Scholar
- EDE (2010). Envisioning digital Europe 2030: Scenarios for ICT in future governance and policy modelling–JRC European Commission, 2010. http://ftp.jrc.es/EURdoc/JRC61593.pdf. Accessed 8 June 2014
- Ferreira, J., et al., (2013). Standard blueprints for interoperability in factories of the future (FoF). In 7th IFAC conference on manufacturing modelling, management and control, 2013 (pp. 1322–1327).Google Scholar
- FINES (2012). Future Internet Enterprise Systems (FInES) Research Roadmap 2025, 2012. http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/enet/documents/fines-research-roadmap-v30_en.pdf. Accessed 8 June 2014
- Frankston, B. (2009). Ambient connectivity: An introduction. http://frankston.com/public/?n=IAC. Accessed 8 June 2014
- Frankston, B. (2013). The Internet of things versus the access framing. IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, 2, 56–57.Google Scholar
- Galasso, F., Ducq, Y., Lauras, M., Gourc, D., & Camara, M. (2014). A method to select a successful interoperability solution through a simulation approach. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-014-0889-4.
- Grauer, M., Metz, D., Karadgi, S., Schafer, W., Reichwald, J. (2010). Towards an IT-framework for digital enterprise integration. In Proceedings of the 6th CIRP-sponsored international conference on digital enterprise technology (pp. 1467–1482). Springer. http://www.springerlink.com/index/786x362p2316375u.pdf. Accessed 8 June 2014
- Grilo, A., & Jardim-Goncalves, R. (2010). Challenging electronic procurement in the AEC sector: BIM-based integrated perspective. Journal Automation in Construction AUTOCON, 20(2), 107–114. ISSN:0926–5805.Google Scholar
- Grilo, A., & Jardim-Goncalves, R. (2010a). Value proposition of interoperability on BIM and collaborative working environments. Journal Automation in Construction AUTOCON, 19(5), 522–530. ISSN:0926–5805. Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Hsieh, F., & Lin, J. (2014). A self-adaptation scheme for workflow management in multi-agent systems. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-013-0818-y.
- INCOSE (2007). Systems Engineering Vision 2020 (INCOSE-TP-2004-004-02), INCOSE. http://www.incose.org/ProductsPubs/pdf/SEVision2020_20071003_v2_03.pdf. Accessed 8 June 2014
- Jakjoud, A., Zrikem, M., Baron, C., & Ayadi, A. (2014). SysPEM: Toward a consistent and unified system process engineering metamodel. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-014-0886-7.
- Karnok, D., Kemeny, Z., Ilie-Zudor, E., & Monostori, L. (2014). Data type definition and handling for supporting interoperability across organizational borders. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-014-0884-9.
- Khalfallah, M., Figay, N., Silva, C., & Ghodous, P. (2014). A cloud-based platform to ensure interoperability in the aerospace industry. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-014-0897-4.
- Khilwani, N., & Harding, J. (2014). Managing corporate memory on the semantic web. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-013-0865-4.
- Koussouris, S., Lampathaki, F., Mouzakitis, S., Charalabidis, Y., & Psarras, J. (2011). Digging into the real-life enterprise interoperability areas definition and overview of the main research areas. In Proceedings of CENT 2011: Collaborative enterprises 2011–Platforms, processes, and practices advancing the enterprise 2.0. Orlando/FL July 19–22, 2011.Google Scholar
- Moisescu, M., & Sacala, I. (2014). Towards the development of interoperable sensing systems for the future enterprise. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-014-0900-0.
- Santucci, G., Martinez, C. & Vlad-câlcic, D. (2012) The sensing enterprise. In FInES workshop at FIA 2012. Aalborg. http://www.theinternetofthings.eu/sites/default/files/%5Buser-name%5D/Sensing-enterprise.pdf. Accessed 8 June 2014
- Sarraipa, J., Jardim-Goncalves, R., & Steiger, A. (2010) MENTOR: An enabler for interoperable intelligent systems. International Journal of General Systems, 39(5), 557–573. ISSN:0308–1079. Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar
- Sarraipa, J., Marques-Lucena, C., Baldiris, S., Fabregat, R., & Aciar, S. (2014). The ALTER-NATIVA knowledge management approach. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-014-0929-0.
- Tibaut, A., Rebolj, D., & Perc, M. (2014). Interoperability requirements for automated manufacturing systems in construction. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-013-0862-7
- Tu, Z., & Zacharewicz, G. (2014). A federated approach to develop enterprise interoperability. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-013-0868-1.
- Vargas, A., Cuenca, L., Boza, A., Sacala, I., & Moisescu, M. (2014). Towards the development of the framework for inter sensing enterprise architecture. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi: 10.1007/s10845-014-0901-z.