An analogy based estimation framework for design rework efforts
- 233 Downloads
Analogy based estimation framework is developed aiming to estimate design rework efforts which are unnecessary repetition design efforts. Design rework factors were captured from literature reviews and then they were developed to be design rework drivers by mapping with results from semi structure interviews with three companies in automotive industries. There are six design rework drivers for probability occurrence, and there is only one driver for efforts required. Design structure matrix is used to identify interactions and addressed a key critical component or subsystem. The analogy based estimation framework is applied with the water pump development project from an engine manufacturer. The initial statistical validation method called mean magnitude of relative error is implemented and the results are in acceptable range, while experts from company C agreed on the validity of design rework drivers and opportunity to improve the framework. The ultimate goal of this development is to develop a framework to estimate design rework efforts in the product design and development projects at the early stage.
KeywordsConcurrent engineering Design rework Efforts
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arundachawat, P., Roy, R., Al-Ashaab, A., & Shehab, E. (2009). Design rework prediction in concurrent design environment: Current trends and future research directions, CIRP design.Google Scholar
- Ballard, G. (2000). Positive VS negative iteration in design, In Proceedings of the international group for lean construction 8th annual conference (IGLC-8). Brighton, UK.Google Scholar
- Bashire, H. A. (2000). Models for estimating design effort. PhD Thesis, Canada: McGill University.Google Scholar
- Blocher E. J., Chen K. H., Cokins G., Lin T. W. (2005) Cost management a strategic emphasis. McGrawhill, New York, p 61Google Scholar
- Cho, S. H., & Eppinger, S. D. (2001). Product development process modelling using advanced simulation. In Proceedings of ASME 2001 design engineering technical conferences.Google Scholar
- Render B., Stair R. M. (2000) Quantitative analysis for management. Prentice Hall International Inc, Englewood Cliffs NJGoogle Scholar
- Roemer T. A., Ahmadi R., Wang R. (2000) Time-cost tradeoffs in overlapped product development. Journal of Operation Research 48(6): 860–865Google Scholar
- Saaty T. L. (2006) Fundamentals of decision making and priority theory with the analytic Hierachy process. RWS Publication, Pittsburgh, PAGoogle Scholar
- Stewart R. D. (1991) Cost estimating. Wiley, NYGoogle Scholar
- Yassine, A. A., Whitney, D. E., & Zambito, T. (2001). Assessment of rework probabilities for simulating product development processes using the design structure matrix. ASME 2001 international design engineering technical conferences, computers and information in engineering conferences, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.Google Scholar