Integration of virtual and real environments for engineering service-oriented manufacturing systems
- 549 Downloads
Engineering frameworks are currently required to support the easy, low-cost, modular and integrated development of manufacturing systems addressing the emergent requirements of re-configurability, responsiveness and robustness. This paper discusses the integration of 2D/3D digital software tools with Petri net based service-oriented frameworks to allow the design, configuration, analysis, validation, simulation, monitoring and control of manufacturing systems in a virtual environment and its posterior smooth migration into the real “physical” environment. An experimental case study was implemented to validate the proposed concepts, using the Continuum platform to design, compose, analyze, validate and simulate the Petri nets based service-oriented manufacturing control system, and the Delmia AutomationTM software suite to support the rapid prototyping and the easy simulation of the designed control solution. The experimental results prove several aspects of the proposed approach, notably the smooth migration between the design and the operation phases, one of the main objectives of the work.
KeywordsDistributed production control systems Re-configurable manufacturing systems Service-oriented architectures Petri nets
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ali, S. A., Seifoddini, H., & Sun, H. (2005). Intelligent modeling and simulation of flexible assembly systems. In: Proceedings of the 37th conference on winter simulation conference (pp. 1350–1358).Google Scholar
- Cachapa, D., Colombo, A., Feike, M., & Bepperling, A. (2007). An approach for integrating real and virtual production automation devices applying the service-oriented architecture paradigm. In: Proceedings of the 12th IEEE international conference on emergent technologies for factory automation (pp. 309–314).Google Scholar
- Gibson, N., Holland, C. P., & Light, B. (1999). Enterprise resource planning: A business approach to systems development. In: Proceedings of the 32nd annual Hawaii international conference on system sciences, Maui, Hawaii (pp. 785–787).Google Scholar
- IEC 61131-3. (2003). Programmable controllers—Part 3: Programming Languages.Google Scholar
- Jammes, F., & Smit, H. (2005b). Service-oriented architectures for devices—The SIRENA view. In: Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE international conference on industrial informatics (pp. 140–147).Google Scholar
- Mathes, M., Stoidner, C., Heinzl, S., & Freisleben, B. (2009). SOAP4PLC: Web services for programmable logic controllers. In: Proceedings of the 17th Euromicro international conference on parallel, distributed, and network-based processing (PDP) (pp. 210–219).Google Scholar
- Melzer, I. et al. (2007). “Service-orientierte Architecturen mit Web Services”, 2. Aufl., Elsevier, Spektrum Akademischer VerlagGoogle Scholar
- Mendes, J.M. (2010). Engineering framework for service-oriented automation systems (Doctoral dissertation submitted to the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto, September 2010).Google Scholar
- Mendes, J. M., Leitão, P., Restivo, F., & Colombo, A. W. (2010). Composition of Petri nets models in service-oriented industrial automation. In: Proceedings of the 8th IEEE international conference on industrial informatics (INDIN’10) (pp. 578–583).Google Scholar
- Mendes, J. M., Bepperling, A., Pinto, J., Leitão, P., Restivo, F., & Colombo, A. W. (2009a). Software methodologies for the engineering of service-oriented industrial automation: The Continuum project. In: Proceedings of the 33rd IEEE international conference on computer software and applications (COMPSAC’09) (pp. 452–459).Google Scholar
- Mendes, J. M., Restivo, F., Leitão, P., & Colombo, A. W. (2009b). Customizable service-oriented Petri net controllers. In: Proceedings of the 35th annual conference of the IEEE industrial electronics society (IECON’09) (pp. 4341–4346).Google Scholar
- Mendes, J. M., Leitão, P., Colombo, A. W., & Restivo, F. (2008). Service-oriented process control using high-level Petri nets. In: Proceedings of the 6th IEEE international conference on industrial informatics (pp. 750–755).Google Scholar
- OASIS—Organization for the advancement of structured information standards. (2007). Web services business process execution language version 2.0, OASIS StandardGoogle Scholar
- OASIS—Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards. (2009). Devices profile for web services (DPWS), version 1.1, OASIS StandardGoogle Scholar
- Puttonen, J., Lobov, A., & Martinez Lastra, J. L. (2008). An application of BPEL for service orchestration in an industrial environment. In: Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on emerging technologies and factory automation (ETFA 2008) (pp. 530–537).Google Scholar
- Taisch, M., Colombo, A. W., Karnouskous, S., & Cannatta, A. (2010). SOCRADES roadmap, the future of SOA-based factory automation. Available at www.socrades.eu, 2010.
- Tsinarakis G. J., Valavanis K. P., Tsourveloudis N. C. (2005) Modular Petri net based modeling, analysis, synthesis and performance evaluation of random topology dedicated production systems. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 6: 79–92Google Scholar