Feasibility and safety of percutaneous epicardial access for mapping and ablation for ventricular arrhythmias in patients on oral anticoagulants
- 55 Downloads
This study aimed to assess the risk of procedure-related complications of percutaneous epicardial access (EpiAcc) for radiofrequency catheter ablation (RFA) of ventricular arrhythmias (VAs) in patients chronically treated oral anticoagulants (OACs) with warfarin compared to those not on OACs.
We analyzed 205 patients (53 ± 16 years, 155 males) undergoing percutaneous EpiAcc as part of an RFA for VAs, and compared the outcome between patients chronically on OACs with warfarin (OAC group) and those without (non-OAC group).
Forty-seven patients (23%) were chronically treated on OACs before their procedure. EpiAcc in patients on OAC (OAC group) was not associated with an increased risk of cardiac tamponade (11% vs. 6%, p = 0.238) compared to non-OAC group, but a higher risk of need for blood transfusion (17% vs. 6%; p = 0.013). With respect to the OAC group, the international normalized ratio (INR) on the day of the RFA was ≥ 2.0 in 9 patients (19%) and < 2.0 in the remaining 38 patients (81%). The rate of all complication and blood transfusion were similar between them (11% vs. 21%; p = 0.496, 11% vs. 18%; p = 0.600).
Percutaneous EpiAcc in patients on chronic OAC with warfarin did not significantly increase the risk of cardiac tamponade, but was associated with a higher risk of need for blood transfusion. EpiACC in patients with an INR > 2.0 is reasonable in experienced hands when clinical indications are strong.
KeywordsEpicardial access Oral anticoagulants Ventricular arrhythmias Radiofrequency catheter ablation Complications
Radiofrequency catheter ablation
Left atrial appendage
International normalized ratio
Fresh frozen plasm
Activated clotting time
Congestive heart failure
Compliance with ethical standards
The study was approved by the institutional review board, and written informed consent was obtained from all patients before the procedure
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 19.Puwanant S, Varr BC, Shrestha K, Hussain SK, Tang WHW, Gabriel RS, et al. Role of the CHADS2 score in the evaluation of thromboembolic risk in patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing transesophageal echocardiography before pulmonary vein isolation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;54:2032–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar