Financing graduate medical education: challenges for training the next generation of electrophysiologists
The system for graduate medical education (GME) in the USA is vital to maintaining a well-trained physician population to meet the needs of the nation. The funding of this system over the last several decades has been complicated, and the government’s role in funding GME is controversial. In this paper, the current mechanisms for funding residency and fellowship training are outlined as well as proposed changes to system. The current system has made funding electrophysiology training difficult, and the proposed changes have profound implications. It is important for the electrophysiology community to be educated and advocate for electrophysiology fellowship training such that Americans continue to have appropriate access to arrhythmia care.
KeywordsGraduate medical education Medicare Clinical cardiac electrophysiology fellowship Accreditation council on graduate medical education
- 1.United States Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. History. http://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Agency-Information/History/index.html?redirect=/History/. Last updated September 14, 2017. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 2.Eden J, Berwick DM, Wilensky GR, Institute of Medicine, Committee on the Governance and Financing of Graduate Medical Education, editors. Graduate medical education that meets the Nation’s health needs. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2014.Google Scholar
- 3.Heisler EJ, Hanson, DJ, Mitchell A, Panangala SV, Talaga SJ. Congressional Research Service. Federal support for graduate medical education: an overview. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44376.pdf. February 12, 2016. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 7.Rampell C. Solving the shortage in primary care doctors. New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/business/solving-the-shortage-in-primary-care-doctors.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share NYTimes: solving the Shortage in primary care doctors. December 12, 2013. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 9.Konstantinos MA, Hill JA, Kovacs RJ, Harrington RA, Arrighi JA, Hera A, et al. The academic medical system: reinvention to survive the revolution in health care. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:1305–12.Google Scholar
- 12.Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. History of medical education. http://www.acgme.org/About-Us/Overview/History-of-Medical-Education/About/ACGMEHistory. Last updated May 2007. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 13.Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Direct Graduate Medical Education (DGME). https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/DGME.html. Last updated January 31, 2017. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 14.American Association of Medical Colleges. Medicare direct graduate medical education (DGME) payments. https://www.aamc.org/advocacy/gme/71152/gme_gme0001.html. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 16.The Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education. Resident caps. https://www.aamc.org/advocacy/gme/276130/residentcaps.html. Accessed on February 19, 2018.
- 18.Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Public. https://apps.acgme.org/ads/public/. Last updated 2018. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 20.Wynn BO, Smalley R, Cordasco KM, for the Rand Corporation. Does it cost more to train residents or to replace them? A look at the costs and benefits of operating graduate medical education programs. https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR300/RR324/RAND_RR324.pdf. 2013. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 21.Agency for Health Care Research and Quality. Health Care Research and Quality Act of 1999 (continued 2). https://www.ahrq.gov/policymakers/hrqa99c.html. Last updated October 2014. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 22.Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Clinical Learning Environment Review (CLER). http://www.acgme.org/What-We-Do/Initiatives/Clinical-Learning-Environment-Review-CLER. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 26.Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Report to the Congress: aligning incentives in Medicare. Chapt 4. http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/grad-medical-education/jun10_entirereport.pdf?sfvrsn=2. Last updated June 2010. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 28.American Medical Association Council on Medical Education. CME report 5: accountability and transparency in graduate medical education funding. Chicago. https://www.ama-assn.org/sites/default/files/media-browser/public/hod/a16-cme-reports-v2.pdf. Last updated June 2016. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 29.Council on Graduate Medical Education. Twenty-first report: improving value in graduate medical education. http://www.hrsa.gov/advisorycommittees/bhpradvisory/cogme/reports/twentyfirstreport.pdf. Last updated August 2013. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 30.Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Common Program Requirements. http://www.acgme.org/What-We-Do/Accreditation/Common-Program-Requirements. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 31.Health Resources and Services Administration. Teaching Health Center Graduate Medical Education (THCGME) Program. https://bhw.hrsa.gov/grants/medicine/thcgme. Last updated July 2017. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 34.Medtronic. Grants and donations fellowships. https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/about/corporate-governance/medtronic-charitable-donations/grants-and-donations-fellowships.html. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 35.Abbott. Education https://www.sjm.com/en/about/giving-corporate-citizenship/education. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 36.Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Open payments. https://www.cms.gov/openpayments/. Last updated February 16, 2018. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 37.University of Virginia Office of Graduate Medical Education. Graduate Medical Education Committee Policy No. 30. https://med.virginia.edu/gme/wp-content/uploads/sites/255/2015/10/Policy30_IndustryFunding_ofGME.pdf Last updated February 1, 2015. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 38.University of Washington. GME Vendor Interaction Policy. http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/Documents/gme/GME-Vendor-Interaction-Policy.pdf. Last updated on September 10, 2015. Accessed on February 18, 2018.
- 41.Heart Rhythm Society. Clinical cardiac electrophysiology (CCEP) training fellowship programs in the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) and the National Residency Match Program (NRMP). https://www.hrsonline.org/Career-Resources/Fellowships-Program-Directors/ERAS-NRMP-Match-Program-for-July-2019-Start-Date. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 42.Heart Rhythm Society. Heart Rhythm Society Health Policy Principles. https://www.hrsonline.org/Policy-Payment/Heart-Rhythm-Society-Health-Policy-Principles. Accessed February 18, 2018.
- 43.Heart Rhythm Society. CCEP Program Directors’ Subcommittee Charge. http://web.hrsonline.org/Governance/Charges/CCEP-PROGRAM-DIRECTORS-SUBCOMMITTEE-CHARGE.pdf. Last updated on May 2017. Accessed February 18, 2018.