Long-term outcomes after “Zero X-ray” arrhythmia ablation
Radiation exposure related to conventional tachyarrhythmia radiofrequency catheter ablation (RFCA) carries small but definite risk for both patients and operators. Today, non-fluoroscopic mapping systems enable to perform catheter ablation with minimal or zero fluoroscopy. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the long-term outcome of patients who had undergone “Zero X-ray” ablation, since no information is available on the very long-term benefits.
A total of 272 arrhythmias in 266 patients have been treated with catheter ablation by means of a zero-ray approach guided only by a nonconventional mapping system (EnSite NavX™, Ensite™ Velocity™ mapping system; subsequently Ensite™ Precision™ Abbott, St. Paul, MN). Fluoroscopy was never used.
Over a period of 6 years, patients were followed up for an average of 2.9 ± 1.6 years. A 100% rate of acute success was observed in the study population, with a complication rate of 0.8%. Chronic success was achieved in 90.8% of the total number of procedures (272). Patients in whom the same arrhythmia recurred during follow-up underwent to a redo catheter ablation procedure in 60.0% of cases, while the remaining 40.0% underwent pharmacological treatment. A new post-ablation arrhythmia occurred in 7.7% of the sample.
The non-fluoroscopic approach is a feasible and safe alternative to fluoroscopy for arrhythmias ablation. This method ensures low complications rates, high acute procedural success rates, and comparable long-term outcomes with clinical benefits for both patients and physicians. The complete elimination of fluoroscopy during catheter ablation is advantageous and does not reduce patient safety.
KeywordsArrhythmia Catheter ablation Radiation risk Zero fluoroscopy
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 2.Page RL, Joglar JA, Caldwell MA, Calkins H, Conti JB, Deal BJ, et al. 2015 ACC/AHA/HRS guideline for the management of adult patients with supraventricular tachycardia: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation. 2016;133(14):e506–74.Google Scholar
- 6.Hirshfeld JW Jr, Balter S, Brinker JA, Kern MJ, Klein LW, Lindsay BD, et al. ACCF/AHA/HRS/SCAI clinical competence statement on physician knowledge to optimize patient safety and image quality in fluoroscopically guided invasive cardiovascular procedures: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association/American College of Physicians Task Force on Clinical Competence and Training. Circulation. 2005;111(4):511–32.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Casella M, Pelargonio G, Dello Russo A, Riva S, Bartoletti S, Santangeli P, et al. “Near-zero” fluoroscopic exposure in supraventricular arrhythmia ablation using the EnSite VelocityTM mapping system: personal experience and review of the literature. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2011;31:109–18.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Maskoun W, Pino MI, Ayoub K, Llanos OL, Almomani A, Nairooz R, et al. Incidence of atrial fibrillation after atrial flutter ablation. JACC: Clin Electrophysiol. 2016;2(6):682–90.Google Scholar
- 23.Estner HL, Deisenhofer I, Luik A, Ndrepepa G, von Bary C, Zrenner B, et al. Electrical isolation of pulmonary veins in patients with atrial fibrillation: reduction of fluoroscopy exposure and procedure duration by the use of a non-fluoroscopic navigation system (NavX). Europace. 2006;8(8):583–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Darrat Y, Morales G, Di BL, Natale A, Elayi CS. How to achieve durable pulmonary vein antral isolation? J Atrial Fibrillation. 2014;6(6):1039.Google Scholar
- 29.Picano E, Vañó E, Rehani MM, Cuocolo A, Mont L, Bodi V, et al. The appropriate and justified use of medical radiation in cardiovascular imaging: a position document of the ESC Associations of Cardiovascular Imaging, Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions and Electrophysiology. Eur Heart J. 2014;35(10):665–72.CrossRefGoogle Scholar