“Near-zero” fluoroscopic exposure in supraventricular arrhythmia ablation using the EnSite NavX™ mapping system: personal experience and review of the literature
Radiofrequency catheter ablation (RFCA) of supraventricular tachyarrhythmias carries a small but non-negligible radiation risk. Studies in children already showed the feasibility of using three-dimensional mapping systems as the primary guide for catheter visualization and positioning in these RFCAs. We aim to demonstrate the feasibility and safety of such an approach in young and middle-aged patients.
Fifty patients (age 34 ± 12) with supraventricular tachyarrhythmias underwent electrophysiological study; of these, 47 patients proceeded to RFCA guided by the EnSite NavXTM system (23 with atrioventricular nodal reentry tachycardia, 16 with an accessory pathway, six with typical atrial flutter, and two with right atrial tachycardia).
In 38/50 cases (76%), electroanatomical mapping avoided fluoroscopy entirely, including four cases requiring access to the left heart chambers by a retrograde approach. In the remaining 12/50 cases (24%), fluoroscopy use was limited to 122 ± 80 s, with a correspondingly low radiation exposure (dose area product 1.3 ± 1.1 mGy × m2). All procedures were acutely successful, with a procedural time of 113 ± 37 minutes, and without incurring in any major complication. Over a mean follow-up of 12 ± 3 months, we observed one recurrence of pre-excitation and one relapse of atrial flutter.
Our study shows that non-fluoroscopic RFCA of supraventricular tachyarrhythmias using the EnSite NavXTM system is feasible, safe, and effective in a population of relatively young adults. Our experience of a non-fluoroscopic approach in these procedures deserves consideration, particularly in the young or in other patients at higher radiation risk.
KeywordsSupraventricular arrhythmias Radiofrequency ablation Electroanatomical mapping Radiation exposure
- 5.Hirshfeld, J. W., Jr., Balter, S., Brinker, J. A., Kern, M. J., Klein, L. W., Lindsay, B. D., et al. (2005). ACCF/AHA/HRS/SCAI clinical competence statement on physician knowledge to optimize patient safety and image quality in fluoroscopically guided invasive cardiovascular procedures: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association/American College of Physicians Task Force on Clinical Competence and Training. Circulation, 111, 511–32.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Estner, H. L., Deisenhofer, I., Luik, A., Ndrepepa, G., von Bary, C., Zrenner, B., et al. (2006). Electrical isolation of pulmonary veins in patients with atrial fibrillation: reduction of fluoroscopy exposure and procedure duration by the use of a non-fluoroscopic navigation system (NavX). Europace, 8, 583–7.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Papagiannis, J., Tsoutsinos, A., Kirvassilis, G., Sofianidou, I., Koussi, T., Laskari, C., et al. (2006). Nonfluoroscopic catheter navigation for radiofrequency catheter ablation of supraventricular tachycardia in children. Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, 29, 971–8.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Hindricks, G., Willems, S., Kautzner, J., De Chillou, C., Wiedemann, M., Schepel, S., et al. (2009). Effect of electroanatomically guided versus conventional catheter ablation of typical atrial flutter on the fluoroscopy time and resource use: a prospective randomized multicenter study. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, 20(7), 734–40.Google Scholar
- 20.Committee to Assess Health Risks from Exposure to Low Levels of Ionizing Radiation BoRER, Division on Earth and Life Studies, National Research Council of the National Academies (2006) Health risks from exposure to low levels of ionizing radiation: BEIR VII-phase 2. Washington, DC; National Academies Press.Google Scholar
- 28.Venneri, L., Rossi, F., Botto, N., Andreassi, M. G., Salcone, N., Emad, A., et al. (2009). Cancer risk from professional exposure in staff working in cardiac catheterization laboratory: insights from the National Research Council's Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation VII Report. American Heart Journal, 157, 118–24.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar