The “Positive Argument” for Constructive Empiricism and Inference to the Best Explanation
In this paper, I argue that the “positive argument” for Constructive Empiricism (CE), according to which CE “makes better sense of science, and of scientific activity, than realism does” (van Fraassen in The scientific image, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1980, 73), is an Inference to the Best Explanation (IBE). But constructive empiricists are critical of IBE, and thus they have to be critical of their own “positive argument” for CE. If my argument is sound, then constructive empiricists are in the awkward position of having to reject their own “positive argument” for CE by their own lights.
KeywordsConstructive empiricism Inference to the best explanation Positive argument Scientific realism
I am grateful to an anonymous reviewer of the Journal for General Philosophy of Science for helpful comments on an earlier draft and to editor, Helmut Pulte.
- Douven, I. (2017). Abduction. In E. N. Zalta (Ed.), The stanford encyclopedia of philosophy (Summer 2017 Edition). https://plato.stanford.edu/archives/sum2017/entries/abduction/.
- Evnine, S. (1991). Donald Davidson. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- McCain, K., & Poston, T. (2017). Best explanations: An introduction. In K. McCain & T. Poston (Eds.), Best explanations: New essays on inference to the best explanation (pp. 1–6). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Monton, B., & Mohler, C. (2017). Constructive empiricism. In E. N. Zalta (Ed.), The stanford encyclopedia of philosophy (Summer 2017 Edition). https://plato.stanford.edu/archives/sum2017/entries/constructive-empiricism/.
- Schwitzgebel, E. (2015). Belief. In E. N. Zalta (Ed.), The stanford encyclopedia of philosophy (Summer 2015 Edition). https://plato.stanford.edu/archives/sum2015/entries/belief/.
- Sinnott-Armstrong, W., & Fogelin, R. (2015). Understanding arguments (9th ed.). Stamford, CT: Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- van Fraassen, B. C. (1985). Empiricism in the philosophy of science. In P. M. Churchland & C. A. Hooker (Eds.), Images of science: Essays on realism and empiricism, with a reply from Bas C. van Fraassen (pp. 245–308). Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- van Fraassen, B. C. (2002). The empirical stance. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Walton, D. (2005). Abductive reasoning. Tuscaloosa: The University of Alabama Press.Google Scholar