Hamilton’s Principle and Dispositional Essentialism: Friends or Foes?
Most recently Smart and Thébault revived an almost forgotten debate between Katzav and Ellis on the compatibility of Hamilton’s Principle (HP) with Dispositional Essentialism (DE). Katzav’s arguments inter alia aim to show that HP (a) presupposes a kind of metaphysical contingency which is at odds with the basic tenets of DE, and (b) offers explanations of a different type and direction from those given by DE. In this paper I argue that though dispositional essentialists might adequately respond to these arguments, the question about the compatibility of HP with DE has not been answered yet; therefore, dispositional essentialists have not yet provided an illuminating DE-friendly metaphysical account of HP.
KeywordsHamilton’s Principle Principle of Least Action Dispositional Essentialism Meta-laws Metaphysical explanation
- Basdevant, J. L. (2007). Variational principles in physics. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Butterfield, J. (2004). Some aspects of modality in analytical mechanics. In M. Stöltzner & P. Weingartner (Eds.), Formale Teleologie und Kausalität in der Physik. Paderborn: Mentis.Google Scholar
- Ellis, B. (2001). Scientific essentialism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Fine, K. (2001). The question of realism. Philosophers’ Imprint, 1, 1–30.Google Scholar
- Goldstein, H., Poole, C., & Safko, J. (2000). Classical mechanics (3rd ed.). San Francisco: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Peskin, M. E., & Schroeder, D. V. (1995). An introduction to quantum field theory. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Sharlow, M. F. (2007). The quantum mechanical path integral: Toward a realistic interpretation. http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/id/eprint/3780.
- Vetter, B. (2012). Dispositional essentialism and the laws of nature. In A. Bird, B. Ellis, & H. Sankey (Eds.), Properties, powers and structures. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Wilson, J. (2014). No work for a theory of grounding. Inquiry, 57(5–6), 1–45.Google Scholar
- Yourgrau, W., & Mandelstam, S. (1960). Variational principles in dynamics and quantum theory. New York: Pitman Publishing Corporation.Google Scholar