Effect of time and polarization on kinetics of the oxygen electrode reaction at an Au∣YSZ interface
- 129 Downloads
The oxygen electrode reaction at the interface gold∣yttria stabilized zirconia was investigate using microelectrodes by chronoamperometry and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, with emphasis put on effect of prolonged polarization of the electrode. Two interesting phenomena were observed: (a) generally, the long-lasting negative polarization resulted in a slow monotonous decrease of the current flowing through the electrode, (b) the reaction mechanism was less complicated for the polarized then unpolarized electrodes, which resulted in a relatively simply equivalent circuit used for modelling the former ones. On the basis of the data obtained, the apparent exchange currents normalized vs. the three phase boundary length and Tafel slopes were determined. The methods of determining the three phase boundary length were discussed. The reconnaissance data obtained for the Pt microelectrode are also reported.
KeywordsOxygen electrode Au microelectrode YSZ Three phase boundary Exchange current
One of the authors (PT) appreciates the financial support from the status founds 126.96.36.199.
- 5.V.V. Kharton, F.M.B. Marques, A. Atkinson, in Fuel Cells Compendium, ed. by N.P. Brandon, D. Thompsett. Transport Properties of Solid Oxide Electrolyte Ceramics; a Brief Review (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2005), p. 189Google Scholar
- 10.J. Fleig, Solid oxide fuel cell cathodes: Polarization mechanisms and modelling of the electrochemical performance, in Annual Review of Material Research, 2003, v.33, p.361. DOI 10.1146/annurev.matsci.33.022802.093258Google Scholar
- 31.A. Raźniak, P. Tomczyk, Materials Science (2008, in press). Available at //www.materialsscience.pwr.wroc.pl/index.php?id=3&abst=62#a62
- 33.J.M. Saveant, E. Vianello, ed. by J.S. Longmuir. Advances in Polarography, vol.1 (Pergamon, NY, 1960), p. 367Google Scholar
- 38.J.F. Baumard, P. Abelard, in Advances in Ceramics, vol. 12, ed. by N. Claussen, M. Rϋhle, A.H. Heurer. Defect Structure and Transport Properties of ZrO 2 -Based Electrolytes (American Ceramic, Coloumbus, OH, 1984), p. 555Google Scholar
- 39.Fuel Cell Handbook. 5th edition by EG&G Services Parsons Inc., Science Application International Corporation (US Department of Energy, Morgantown, 2000), p.8–5Google Scholar