Influence of different fluoride containing electrolytes on the formation of self-organized titania nanotubes by Ti anodization
- 611 Downloads
The formation of self-organized porous titania nanotubes is achieved by electrochemical anodization under specific experimental conditions. In present work, the formation of porous titania nanotubes on titanium substrates is investigated in several SO42−/F− based electrolytes. The presence of some non-porous layers covering the porous layers and accompanying the pore growth is observed. We discuss in details the influence of different electrolyte composition on the structure of self-organized porous layers, investigate the conditions for ideal pore growth. SEM investigations and XRD, AES and EDX surface analyses are carried out to characterize the self-organized porous layers. The results show that using SO42−/F− electrolytes with different cations can drastically influence the final morphology of the self-organized porous nanotubes. We furthermore show that the nanotubes consist of TiO2 and that they remain unchanged when annealed.
KeywordsSelf-organization Titanium dioxide Nanotube Oxide dissolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Masuda and K. Fukuda, Science, 268, 1466 (1995).Google Scholar
- 4.V. Lehman and H. Föll, J. Electrochem. Soc., 137, 653 (1990)Google Scholar
- 8.R.B. Wehrspohn, K. Nielsch, A. Birner, J. Schilling, F. Müller, A.P. Li, and U. Gösele, Pits and Pores II, edited by P. Schmuki, D.J. Lockwood, Y.H. Ogata, and H.S. Isaacs, Proc.Vol. ECS 2000-25 (2000) p. 168.Google Scholar
- 15.Y. Mueller and S. Virtanen, Pits and Pores II, edited by P. Schumki, D.J. Lockwood, Y.H. Ogata, and H.S. Isaacs, Proc.Vol. ECS 2000-25 (2000) p. 294.Google Scholar
- 16.D. Gong, C.A. Grimes, O.K. Varghese, W. Hu, R.S. Singh, Z. Chen, and E.C. Dickey, J. Mater. Res., 16, 3331 (2001).Google Scholar
- 26.O.K. Varghese, D. Gong, K.G. Ong, and C.A. Grimes, Sensors and Actuators, B93, 338 (2003).Google Scholar
- 27.D.M. Brunette, P. Tengvall, M. Textor, and P. Thomsen, Titanium in Medicine (Springer, Berlin, 2001).Google Scholar
- 28.J.M. Macak, H. Tsuchiya, L. Taveira, and A. Ghicov, J. Biomed. Mat. Res., in press.Google Scholar
- 34.I. Sieber and P. Schmuki, J. Electrochem Soc., in press.Google Scholar
- 36.N.T.C. Oliveira, S.R. Biaggio, R.C. Rocha-Filho, and N. Bocchi, J. Braz. Chem. Soc., 13, 463 (2002).Google Scholar
- 41.O.K. Varghese, D. Dong, M. Paulose, C.A. Grimes, and E.C. Dickey, J. Mater. Res., 18, 156 (2003).Google Scholar