College Students’ Affective Distress: The Role of Expectation Discrepancies and Communication
- 568 Downloads
The discrepancy between college students’ performance and parents’ expectations may be related to college students’ affective distress. Further, the role that parent–college student communication reciprocity may play in the context of these discrepancies has not been examined. As a result, this study examined parent–college student expectation discrepancies and communication reciprocity as predictors of college students’ affective distress (i.e., anger, depression, and anxiety). Results of this study suggest that college student–parent expectation discrepancies, communication reciprocity, and college students’ affective distress (i.e., anger, depression, and anxiety) are interrelated significantly. Further, results from the hierarchical regressions conducted for this study suggest that college students’ perception of their communication reciprocity with their parents may be a more important predictor of college students’ depression and anxiety in the context of the expectation discrepancies examined in this study. These findings underscore the importance of teaching communication skills to college students and their parents as a means of diminishing the deleterious effects of perceiving one another inaccurately.
KeywordsParent College student Expectation discrepancies Communication reciprocity Anger Depression Anxiety
This manuscript is based in part on the dissertation of the first author, who was supervised by the second author. Special thanks to Valerie Sims, Ph.D., Jack McGuire, Ph.D., and Mike Robinson, Ed.D., for their comments on an earlier version of this manuscript.
- Anderson, W., & Yuenger, C. (1987). Parents as a source of stress for college students. College Student Journal, 21, 317–323.Google Scholar
- Beck, A. T. (1967). Depression: Causes and treatment. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.Google Scholar
- Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A., & Brown, G. K. (1996). BDI-II: Beck Depression Inventory manual (2nd ed.). San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.Google Scholar
- Higgins, E. T., Klein, R., & Strauman, T. (1985). Self-concept discrepancy theory: A psychological model for distinguishing among different aspects of depression and anxiety. Social Cognition, 3, 51–76.Google Scholar
- Higgins, E. T., Strauman, T., & Klein, R. (1986). Standards and the process of self-evaluation: Multiple affects from multiple stages. In R. M. Sorrentino & E. T. Higgins (Eds.), Handbook of motivation and cognition (pp. 23–63). New York: The Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Pancer, S. M., Pratt, M., Hunsberger, B., & Alisat, S. (1995, March). Great expectation: Parent–child discussion and the impact of pre-university expectations on adolescent transition to university. Paper presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Indianapolis, IN.Google Scholar
- Roelofs, J., Papageorgiou, C., Gerber, R. D., Huibers, M., Peeters, F., & Arntz, A. (2007). On the links between self-discrepancies, rumination, metacognitions, and symptoms of depression in undergraduates. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 45, 1295–1305. doi: 10.1016/j.brat.2006.10.005.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Silva, M., Dorso, E., Azhar, A., & Renk, K. (2007–2008). The relationships among parenting styles experienced during childhood, anxiety, motivation, and academic success in college students. Journal of College Student Retention: Theory, Research, and Practice, 9(2), 149–167. doi: 10.2190/CS.9.2.b.Google Scholar
- Spielberger, C. D. (1999). STAXI-2: State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory-2 professional manual. Lutz, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc.Google Scholar
- Weidman, J. (1989). Undergraduate socialization: A conceptual approach. In J. Smart (Ed.), Higher education: Handbook of theory and research (Vol. 5, pp. 289–332). New York: Agathon.Google Scholar
- Youniss, J., & Smollar, J. (1985). Adolescent relations with mothers, fathers, and friends. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar