An analytical model for the surface potential and threshold voltage of a double-gate heterojunction tunnel FinFET
- 28 Downloads
A double-gate (DG) heterojunction tunnel FinFET structure with a source overlap region was analyzed to optimize its performance and validate technology computer-aided design (TCAD) simulation results by modeling the surface potential, electric field, and threshold voltage. A compact model of the surface potential was developed by applying the solution of the two-dimensional (2-D) Poisson equation obtained using the superposition technique. The gate threshold voltage was extracted by using the transconductance change method. The effect of high-k dielectric material (HfO2) on the surface potential model was also addressed. The analytical predictions were compared with and validated against the results obtained using Synopsys TCAD software, revealing excellent agreement. The percentage error of the analytical approach for the threshold voltage was also evaluated with respect to the TCAD simulation results.
KeywordsDG tunnel FinFET Threshold voltage Surface potential TCAD
The authors are highly indebted to the TCAD Laboratory, National Institute of Technology, Silchar, India for supporting this technical work. The authors would like to thank Mr. Praveen Gunturi, National Institute of Technology, Silchar for support of this technical work.
- 3.Tanaka, T., Usuki, T., Futatsugi, T., Momiyama, Y., Sugii T.: Vth fluctuation induced by statistical variation of pocket dopant profile. In: IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting, pp. 271–274 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Kahng, D., Atalla, M.: Silicon–silicon dioxide field induced surface devices. In: IRE-AIEE Solid-State Device Research Conference (1960)Google Scholar
- 5.Dennard, R., Gaensslen, F., Kuhn, L., Yu, H.: Design of micron MOS switching devices. In: IEDM Tech. Dig., pp. 168–170 (1972)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, J., Cho, H., Kang, C., Rhee, S., Kim, Y., Choi, R., Kang, C., Choi, C., Akbar, M.: High-k dielectrics and MOSFET characteristics. In: IEDM Tech. Dig., pp. 95–98 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Huang, X., Lee, X., Kuo, C., Hisamoto, D., Chang, L., Kedzierski, J., Anderson, E., Takeuchi, H., Choi, Y., Asano, K., Subramanian, V., King, T., Bokor, J., Hu, C.: Sub 50-nm FinFET: PMOS. In: IEDM Tech. Dig., pp. 341–344 (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Hong, Y., Guo, Y., Yang, H., Yao, J., Zhang, J., Ji, X.: A novel bulk- FinFET with dual-material gate. In: IEEE International Conference on Solid-State and Integrated Circuit Technology (2014)Google Scholar
- 23.Liu, L., Mohata, D., Datta, S.: Scaling length theory of double-gate interband tunnel field-effect transistors. IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 57, 827–835 (2012)Google Scholar
- 27.Boucart, K., Ionescu, A.: Threshold voltage in tunnel FETs: physical definition, extraction, scaling and impact on IC design. In: 37th ESSDERC, pp. 299–302 (2007)Google Scholar