Updated structure of vertical double-diffused MOSFETs for irradiation hardening against single events
- 81 Downloads
The gate oxide layer and parasitic bipolar junction transistor are inherent elements of vertical double-diffused power metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistors (MOSFETs). Single-event gate rupture (SEGR) and single-event burnout (SEB) may be triggered by penetration of energetic ions through sensitive regions of such MOSFET devices when used in space environments. Based on the recombination mechanism in a heavily doped P+ buried layer and the higher breakdown voltage when using a thick oxide layer, a new structure for power MOSFETs that are irradiation hardened against SEGR and SEB was developed in this work, based on three typical characteristics: an N+ buried layer, a P+ buried layer, and a thick oxide above the neck. The results reveal that the safe operation region of such an N-channel power MOSFET in a single-event irradiation environment is enhanced by 300 % for a linear energy transfer value of 98 MeV cm2/mg. Such structures could be widely used when designing single-event irradiation-hardened power MOSFETs.
KeywordsPower MOSFETs Irradiation hardened Single-event burnout Single-event gate rupture Recombination mechanism
Supported by the National Defense Science and Technology Key Lab Open Foundation for Space Materials Behavior and Evaluation of China (no. 61429100306) and the Ministry of Education Open Foundation for Semiconductor Power Device Reliability of China (010201).
- 1.Tang, Z., Fu, X., Yang, F., et al.: SEGR- and SEB-hardened structure with DSPSOI in power MOSFETs. J. Semicond. 38(12), 124006-1–124006-5 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Dunitru, S., Marc, H.V., Eric, K.: Pseudo self aligned radhard MOSFET and process of manufacture. US Patent 20,130,181,280 A1 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Porzio, A., Velardi, F., Busatto, G., et al.: A 3-D simulation study about single event gate damage in medium voltage power MOSFET. In: 2008 European Conference on Radiation and Its Effects on Components and Systems (RADECS), pp. 209–212 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.ATHENA User Manual: Silvaco International. ATHENA User Manual, Santa Clara (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.ATLAS User Manual: Silvaco International. ATLAS User Manual, Santa Clara (2013)Google Scholar