Response to “Comment on ‘Zero and negative energy dissipation at information-theoretic erasure”’
- 81 Downloads
We prove that statistical information-theoretic quantities, such as information entropy, cannot generally be interrelated with the lower limit of energy dissipation during information erasure. We also point out that, in deterministic and error-free computers, the information entropy of memories does not change during erasure because its value is always zero. On the other hand, for information-theoretic erasure—i.e., “thermalization”/randomization of the memory—the originally zero information entropy (with deterministic data in the memory) changes after erasure to its maximum value, 1 bit/memory bit, while the energy dissipation is still positive, even at parameters for which the thermodynamic entropy within the memory cell does not change. Information entropy does not convert to thermodynamic entropy and to the related energy dissipation; they are quantities of different physical nature. Possible specific observations (if any) indicating convertibility are at most fortuitous and due to the disregard of additional processes that are present.
KeywordsInformation Erasure Switching Energy dissipation Non-validity of Landauer’s theorem
LK appreciates extensive discussions with Neal Anderson. Discussions with Tamas Horvath, Krishna Narayanan and Fred Green are also appreciated.
- 1.Kish, L.B., Granqvist, C.G., Khatri, S., Peper, F.: Zero and negative energy dissipation at information-theoretic erasure. J. Comput. Electron. (2015). doi: 10.1007/s10825-015-0754-5
- 2.Kish, L.B., Granqvist, C.G., Khatri, S., Peper, F.: Zero and negative energy dissipation at information-theoretic erasure. Version 1. arXiv:1507.08906v1
- 4.Anderson, N.G.: Comment on “Zero and negative energy dissipation at information-theoretic erasure”. J. Comput. Electron. (2015). doi: 10.1007/s10825-015-0768-z
- 13.Kish, L.B., Granqvist, C.G, Khatri, S.P, Smulko, J.: Critical remarks on Landauer’s principle of erasure–dissipation, In: Proc. ICNF 2015 Conference, Xidian, China, (2015). doi: 10.1109/ICNF.2015.7288632
- 14.Gyftopoulos, E.P., von Spakovsky, M.R.: Comments on the breakdown of the Landauer bound for information erasure in the quantum regime. (2007). arXiv:0706.2176