Modeling of FinFET: 3D MC Simulation Using FMM and Unintentional Doping Effects on Device Operation
- 160 Downloads
Novel device concepts such as dual gate SOI, Ultra thin body SOI, FinFETs, etc., have emerged as a solution to the ultimate scaling limits of conventional bulk MOSFETs. These novel devices suppress some of the Short Channel Effects (SCE) efficiently, but at the same time more physics based modeling is required to investigate device operation. In this paper, we use semi-classical 3D Monte Carlo device simulator to investigate important issues in the operation of FinFETs. Fast Multipole Method (FMM) has been integrated with the EMC scheme to replace the time consuming Poisson equation solver. Effect of unintentional doping for different device dimensions has been investigated. Impurities at the source side of the channel have most significant impact on the device performance.
KeywordsFinFET unintentional doping FMM 3D Monte Carlo
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.SIA Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors, 2003 (http://public.itrs.net/).
- 2.M. Lundstrom, Fundamental of Carrier Transport (Cambridge University press, October 2000).Google Scholar
- 4.H.S. Wong, K. Chan, and Y. Taur, “Self-aligned (top and bottom) double-gate MOSFET with a 25 nm thick silicon channel,” IEDM Tech. Dig, 427 (1997).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Hisamoto, W.-C. Lee, J. Kedzierski, H. Takeuchi, K. Asano, C. Kuo, T.-J. king, J. Boker, and C. Hu, “A folded-channel MOSFET for deep-sub-tenth micron era,” IEDM Tech. Dig., 1032 (1998).Google Scholar
- 7.X. Huang, W.-C. Lee, C. Kuo, D. Hisamoto, L. Chang, J. Kedzierski, E. Anderson, H. Takeuchi, Y.-K. Choi, K. Asano, V. Subramanian, T.-J. King, J. Bokor, and C. Hu, “Sub-50 nm FinFET: PMOS,” IEDM Tech. Dig., 67 (1999).Google Scholar
- 10.MadMAx Optics Inc, “FMMpart3D library file”.Google Scholar