Optimization of CAMD techniques 3. Virtual screening enrichment studies: a help or hindrance in tool selection?
- 601 Downloads
Over the last few years many articles have been published in an attempt to provide performance benchmarks for virtual screening tools. While this research has imparted useful insights, the myriad variables controlling said studies place significant limits on results interpretability. Here we investigate the effects of these variables, including analysis of calculation setup variation, the effect of target choice, active/decoy set selection (with particular emphasis on the effect of analogue bias) and enrichment data interpretation. In addition the optimization of the publicly available DUD benchmark sets through analogue bias removal is discussed, as is their augmentation through the addition of large diverse data sets collated using WOMBAT.
KeywordsVirtual screening Enrichment Validation Analogue bias Chemotypes DUD WOMBAT
This work was supported in part by support the New Mexico Tobacco Settlement fund (TIO). Thanks go to Andrei Leitão of UNM Biocomputing for his help in differentiating WOMBAT HIV NNRTI/NRTI compounds.
- 2.Wu JH, Batist G (2001) Anticancer Drug Design 16:129Google Scholar
- 3.Paiva AM, Vanderwall DE, Blanchard JS, Kozarich JW, Williamson JM, Kelly TM (2001) Biochim Biophys Acta 1545:67Google Scholar
- 11.Barril X, Hubbard RE, Morley SD (2004) Mini Rev Med Chem 4:779Google Scholar
- 15.Rajamani R, Good AC (2007) Curr Opin Drug Discov Devel 10:308Google Scholar
- 26.Olah M, Mracec M, Ostopovici L, Rad R, Bora A, Hadaruga N, Olah I, Banda M, Simon Z, Mracec M, Oprea TI (2004) In: Oprea TI (ed) WOMBAT: world of molecular bioactivity, in chemoinformatics in drug discovery. Wiley-VCH, New York, pp 223–239Google Scholar
- 29.LIGPREP, developed and distributed by Schrodinger Inc.: http://www.schrodinger.com/ProductDescription.php?mID=6&sID=7&cID=0 10/07
- 31.Pearlman RS (1987) Chem Des Autom News 2:5Google Scholar
- 32.ROCS, OMEGA and the OECHEM toolkit are all developed and distributed by Openeye Scientific Software Inc: http://www.eyesopen.com/products 10/07
- 33.Pipeline Pilot, developed by Scitegic: http://www.scitegic.com/ 10/07
- 36.http://www.biopharmics.com/downloads.html accessed 11/07
- 42.Jain AN (2007) 234th ACS National Meeting, Boston, USA, Aug 19–23, COMP-147Google Scholar