Sperm parameters that play a major role in the assessment of semen quality after cryopreservation
Semen cryopreservation is the only available method to preserve the fertility in young and adult men. Semen freezing is the first line option for the group of patients in which fertility preservation is required. Conventional slow freezing of spermatozoa is commonly used for cryopreservation of both ejaculated and surgically retrieved spermatozoa for preservation of fertility before cancer treatment, in severe male factor infertility (obstructive azoospermia) and for establishment of donor banks. Cryopreservation of spermatozoa is therefore an important part of a successful assisted reproductive technology program.
Sperm cryopreservation should be considered in cases of azoospermia so repeated surgical sperm retrieval techniques are avoided; also, regarding male patients who present impaired semen parameters, sperm cryopreservation is indicated to prevent the risk of azoospermia . In addition, fertility preservation is a major concern for male cancer patients who are undergoing...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Auger J, Sermondade N, Eustache F. Semen quality of 4480 young cancer and systemic disease patients: baseline data and clinical considerations. Basic Clin Androl. 2016;26:3. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26893905/nhttp:/www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=PMC4758099 PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.Watson P. The causes of reduced fertility with cryopreserved semen. Anim Reprod Sci. 2000;60-61:481–92. Available from: http://www.animalreproductionscience.com/article/S0378432000000993/fulltext PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Di Santo M, Tarozzi N, Nadalini M, Borini A. Human sperm cryopreservation: update on techniques, effect on DNA integrity, and implications for ART. Adv Urol. 2012;2012.Google Scholar
- 9.Sieme H, Oldenhof H, Wolkers WF. Mode of action of cryoprotectants for sperm preservation. Anim Reprod Sci. 2016;169:2–5. Available from: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0378432016300343 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Tiwari A, Tekcan M, Sati L, Murk W, Stronk J, Huszar G. A new media without animal component for sperm cryopreservation: motility and various attributes affecting paternal contribution of sperm. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2017;34:647–57. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10815-017-0888-4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ranganathan S, Ganguly AK, Datta K. Evidence for presence of hyaluronan binding protein on spermatozoa and its possible involvement in sperm function. Mol Reprod Dev. 1994;38:69–76. Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mrd.1080380112/abstract CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Zhu WJ, Liu XG. Cryodamage to plasma membrane integrity in head and tail regions of human sperm. Asian J Androl China. 2000;2:135–8.Google Scholar
- 20.Hammadeh ME, Dehn C, Hippach M, Zeginiadou T, Stieber M, Georg T, et al. Comparison between computerized slow-stage and static liquid nitrogen vapour freezing methods with respect to the deleterious effect on chromatin and morphology of spermatozoa from fertile and subfertile men. Int J Androl. 2001;24:66–72. Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2605.2001.00270.x/full CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Hotaling J, Patel D, Vendryes C. Predictors of sperm recovery after cryopreservation in testicular cancer. Asian J. 2016;18:35–8. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4736354/ Google Scholar
- 25.Borges E, Setti AS, Braga DPAF, Figueira RCS, Iaconelli A. Total motile sperm count has a superior predictive value over the WHO 2010 cut-off values for the outcomes of intracytoplasmic sperm injection cycles. Andrology. 2016;4:880–6.Google Scholar
- 30.Petyim S, Neungton C, Thanaboonyawat I, Laokirkkiat P, Choavaratana R. Sperm preparation before freezing improves sperm motility and reduces apoptosis in post-freezing-thawing sperm compared with post-thawing sperm preparation. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2014;31:1673–80.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 32.Brugnon F, Ouchchane L, Pons-Rejraji H, Artonne C, Farigoule M, Janny L. Density gradient centrifugation prior to cryopreservation and hypotaurine supplementation improve post-thaw quality of sperm from infertile men with oligoasthenoteratozoospermia. Hum Reprod. 2013;28:2045–57.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar