Empty follicle syndrome after GnRHa triggering versus hCG triggering in COS
- 334 Downloads
This study aimed to explore the incidence of empty follicle syndrome (EFS) in oocyte donors who had final oocyte maturation triggered with GnRHa and to compare the incidence of EFS in this group of patients with IVF patients who had final oocyte maturation with hCG.
Data including 2034 oocyte donation cycles and 1433 IVF cycles performed between years 2009 and 2010 was retrospectively analyzed to identify cases of EFS in each group.
The incidence of EFS in the two groups did not differ significantly, 3.5% versus 3.1%, (n.s.).
This large retrospective analysis indicates that the incidence of EFS is not increased after GnRHa triggering as compared to hCG triggering.
KeywordsGnRH agonist GnRH antagonist GnRHa triggering hCG Empty follicle syndrome
The authors would like to acknowledge Dr Claudio Bonomini for his invaluable help in data search.
The authors disclose any potential conflict of interest.
- 2.Honnma H, Hashiba Y, Asada Y, Endo T. Failure of triggering oocyte maturation with a GnRH agonist in polycystic ovary syndrome: two case reports. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol In Press. doi: 10.1016/j.ejogrb.2011.03.002.
- 3.Griesinger G, Schultz L, Bauer T, Broessner A, Frambach T, Kissler S. Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome prevention by gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist triggering of final oocyte maturation in a gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist protocol in combination with a “freeze-all” strategy: a prospective multicentric study. Fertil Steril. 2011;95:2029–33.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Fauser BC, de Jong D, Olivennes F, Wramsby H, Tay C, Itskovitz-Eldor J, van Hooren HG. Endocrine profiles after triggering of final oocyte maturation with GnRH agonist after cotreatment with the GnRH antagonist ganirelix during ovarian hyperstimulation for in vitro fertilization. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:709–15.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Bodri D, Guillén JJ, Trullenque M, Schwenn K, Esteve C, Coll O. Early ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome is completely prevented by gonadotropin releasing-hormone agonist triggering in high-risk oocyte donor cycles: a prospective, luteal-phase follow-up study. Fertil Steril. 2010;93:2418–20.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Yariz KO, Walsh T, Uzak A, Spiliopoulos M, Duman D, Onalan G, King MC, Tekin M. Inherited mutation of the luteinizing hormone/choriogonadotropin receptor (LHCGR) in empty follicle syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2011 (in press).Google Scholar
- 25.Beranova M, Oliveira LM, Bédécarrats GY, Schipani E, Vallejo M, Ammini AC, Quintos JB, Hall JE, Martin KA, Hayes FJ, Pitteloud N, Kaiser UB, Crowley Jr WF, Seminara SB. Prevalence, phenotypic spectrum, and modes of inheritance of gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor mutations in idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:1580–8.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar