Study of GT-repeat expansion in Heme oxygenase-1 gene promoter as genetic cause of male infertility
- First Online:
The length of GT-repeats polymorphic region in the promoter of human Heme oxygenase-1 gene (HO-1) alters the level of its transcriptional activity in response to oxidative stresses. Decreased level of HO-1 protein in the seminal plasma has been reported to be associated with oligospermia and azoospermia in male infertility. This is the first study to investigate the association between GT-repeats expansion in the promoter of the HO-1 gene and male infertility.
The frequencies of different GT-repeats alleles in the promoter of HO-1 gene were determined in 100 cases and 100 normal controls using PCR-PAGE, ABI fragment analysis genotyping and sequencing analysis.
All alleles were classified into S and L alleles. S alleles were specified as number 0 to 3 with <27 GT-repeats and L alleles were specified as number 4 to 6 with >27 repeats. The L allele frequency was significantly higher among case group (54.5%) than that was obtained in the normal control group (37.5%). Statistical analysis provided a significant relationship between L allele and male infertility (P < 0.001).
This study shows for the first time that GT-repeats expansion in promoter of the HO-1 gene is associated with oligospermia and azoospermia among Iranian infertile cases.
KeywordsMale infertility Heme oxygenase-1 gene Polymorphism Oxidative stress
- 2.Iwasaki A, Gagnon C. Formation of reactive oxygen species in spermatozoa of infertile patients. Fertile Steril. 1992;57:409–16.Google Scholar
- 5.Moncada ML, Vicari E, Cimino C, Calogero AE, Mongioi A, D’Agata R. Effect of actylcamitine in oligoasthenospermia patients. Acta Eur Fertil. 2002;23:221–4.Google Scholar
- 13.Vashist YK, Blessmann M, Trump F, Kalinin V, Kutup A, Schneider C, et al. Microsatellite GTn-repeat polymorphism in the promoter of heme oxygenase-1 gene is an independent predictor of tumor recurrence in male oral squamous cell carcinoma patients. J Oral Pathol Med. 2008;37:480–4.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Agarwal A, Prabakaran SA. Oxidative stress and antioxidants in male infertility: a difficult balance. Iran J Reprod Med. 2005;3(1):1–8.Google Scholar
- 23.Sambrook J, Fritsch E, Maniatis T. Isolation of DNA from mammalian cells. Molecular Cloning Cold Spring Harbour Press, Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory, New York, USA 1989, Vol 7, Chap 6.Google Scholar