Comparison of letrozole with continuous gonadotropins and clomiphene-gonadotropin combination for ovulation induction in 1387 PCOS women after clomiphene citrate failure: a randomized prospective clinical trial
Letrozole, though reported to be an effective ovulation inducing agent, warrants larger randomized trials. The purpose of this study is to compare the efficacy of letrozole with that of rFSH and clomiphene citrate(CC)/rFSH for ovarian stimulation in IUI cycles.
Randomized, prospective, single-blinded clinical trial. 1387 PCOS women after CC failure were randomized into three groups: Group A received letrozole, Group B received CC with two doses rFSH and Group C received continuous rFSH day 2 onwards until hCG injection.
Group A, B and C had an ovulation rate of 79.30%, 56.95% and 89.89% and cycle cancellation rate of 20.70%, 43.05% and 10.11%, respectively. Pregnancy rates in Group A, B and C were 23.39%, 14.35% and 17.92%, while the miscarriage rates were 13.80%, 16.67% and 14.52%, respectively.
Letrozole appears to be a suitable ovulation inducing agent in PCOS women with CC failure and is found to be most effective when baseline estradiol level >60 pg/ml.
KeywordsBaseline estradiol Clomiphene citrate failure Letrozole Ovulation induction rFSH
One of the authors, Dr. Ashalatha Ganesh sincerely acknowledges the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) for providing financial support. All authors thank Dr Himadri S. Sarkar, PhD., Institute of Reproductive Medicine, Salt Lake, Kolkata, India for measuring various hormone levels in the laboratory. Mr. Soumen Das, a graduate student, is acknowledged for helping with the statistical analysis.
- 1.Dankert T, Kremer JAM, Cohlen BJ, Hamilton CJCM, Pasker-de Jong PCM, Straatman H, van Dop PA. A randomized clinical trial of clomiphene citrate versus low dose recombinant FSH for ovarian hyperstimulation in intrauterine insemination cycles for unexplained and male subfertility. Hum Reprod. 2007;22:792–7. doi: 10.1093/humrep/del441.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Elnashar A, Fouad H, Eldosoky M, Saeid N. Letrozole induction of ovulation in women with clomiphene citrate-resistant polycystic ovary syndrome may not depend on the period of infertility, the body mass index, or the luteinizing hormone/follicle-stimulating hormone ratio. Fertil Steril. 2006;85:511–3. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2005.08.016.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Matorras R, Diaz T, Corcostegui B, Ramon O, Pijoan JI, Rodriguez-Escudero FJ. Ovarian stimulation in intrauterine insemination with donor sperm: a randomized study comparing clomiphene citrate in fixed protocol versus highly purified FSH. Hum Reprod. 2002;17:2107–11. doi: 10.1093/humrep/17.8.2107.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Gregoriou O, Vlahos NF, Konidaris S, Papadias K, Botsis D, Creatsas GK. Randomized controlled trial comparing superovulation with letrozole versus recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone combined to intrauterine insemination for couples with unexplained infertility who had failed clomiphene citrate stimulation and intrauterine insemination. Fertil Steril. 2007;(Oct):23. PMID: 17961561.Google Scholar
- 10.Goswami SK, Das T, Chattopadhyay R, Sawhney V, Kumar J, Chaudhury K, Chakravarty BN, Kabir SN. A randomized single-blind controlled trial of letrozole as a low-cost IVF protocol in women with poor ovarian response: a preliminary report. Hum Reprod. 2004;19:2031–5. doi: 10.1093/humrep/deh359.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Barroso G, Menocal G, Felix H, Rojas-Ruiz JC, Arslan M, Oehninger S. Comparison of the efficacy of the aromatase inhibitor letrozole and clomiphene citrate as adjuvants to recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone in controlled ovarian hyperstimulation: a prospective, randomized, blinded clinical trial. Fertil Steril. 2006;86:1428–31. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2006.03.044.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.The Rotterdam ESHRE/ASRM-Sponsored PCOS Consensus Workshop Group Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term risks related to polycystic ovarian syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2004;81:19–25.Google Scholar
- 21.WHO. Laboratory manual for examination of human semen and sperm-cervical mucus interaction. 4th ed. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 1999.Google Scholar
- 22.Begum MR, Ferdous J, Begum A, Quadir E. Comparison of efficacy of aromatase inhibitor and clomiphene citrate in induction of ovulation in polycystic ovarian syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2008;(Jan):3. PMID: 18177867.Google Scholar
- 23.Sh Tehrani Nejad E, Abediasl Z, Rashidi BH, Azimi Nekoo E, Shariat M. Amirchaghmaghi: Comparison of the efficacy of the aromatase inhibitor letrozole and clomiphen citrate gonadotropins in controlled ovarian hyperstimulation: a prospective, simply randomized, clinical trial. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2008;25:187–90. doi: 10.1007/s10815-008-9209-2.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Dahan MH, Quintero RB, Urban R. A comparison of letrozole to gonadotropins for ovulation induction in subjects with advanced maternal age: a retrospective pilot study. Fertil Steril. 2007;(Nov):30. PMID: 18061174.Google Scholar