Preliminary Experience with Low Concentration of Granulocyte-Macrophage Colony-Stimulating Factor: A Potential Regulator in Preimplantation Mouse Embryo Development and Apoptosis
- 78 Downloads
Purpose: To investigate the effects of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) on the development of preimplantation mouse embryos.
Methods: Mouse 2-cell embryos were collected and cultured in P-1 medium supplemented with GM-CSF at different concentrations. Using reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction, expression Bcl-2 and Bax mRNA in blastocyst were evaluated in the GM-CSF group and control group. Apoptosis detection was performed using the in situ apoptosis detection kit in mouse blastocysts. The statistical significance of the data was analyzed using t-test and chi-square test.
Results: The development of blastocyst increased to 89% in the addition of GM-CSF (0.125 ng/mL), compared to controlled group (80%). The number of cells staining for apoptosis was lower in GM-CSF group than that in the control group. Bcl-2 expression was found to be upregulated in blastocysts in the GM-CSF supplemented group compared to the control group.
Conclusion: These results suggest that GM-CSF might be an important regulator in embryo development.
KEY WORDS:Apoptosis blastocyst development GM-CSF in vivo blastocyst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hardy K: Apoptosis in the human embryo. Rev Reprod 1999;4:125–134Google Scholar
- 2.Hardy K: Cell death in the mammalian blastocyst. Mol Hum Reprod 1997;3:919–925Google Scholar
- 3.Jurisicova A, Latham KE, Casper RF, Casper RF, Varmuza SL: Expression and regulation of genes associated with cell death during murine preimplantation embryo development. Mol Reprod Dev 1998;51(3):243–253Google Scholar
- 4.Kane MT, Morgan PM, Coonan C: Peptide growth factors and preimplantation development. Hum Reprod Update 1997;3:137–157Google Scholar
- 5.Zhao Y, Chegini N: Human fallopian tube expresses granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) and GM-CSF alpha and beta receptors and contain immunoreactive GM-CSF protein. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994 Aug;79(2):662–665Google Scholar
- 6.Lopez AF, Shannon MF, Hercus T, Nicola NA, Cambareri B, Dottore M, Layton MJ, Eglinton L, Vadas MA: Residue 21 of human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor is critical for biological activity and for high but not low affinity binding. EMBO J 1992 March;11(3):909–916Google Scholar
- 7.Robertson SA, Sjoblom C, Jasper MJ, Norman RJ, Seamark RF: Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor promotes glucose transport and blastomere viability in murine preimplantation embryos. Biol Reprod 2001 April;64(4):1206–1215Google Scholar
- 8.Wislez M, Fleury-Feith J, Rabbe N, Moreau J, Cesari D, Milleron B, Mayaud C, Antoine M, Soler P, Cadranel J: Tumor-derived granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor prolong the survival of neutrophils infiltrating bronchoalveolar subtype pulmonary adenocarcinoma. Am J Pathol 2001 Oct;159(4): 1423–1433Google Scholar
- 9.Flad HD, Grage-Griebenow E, Petersen F, Scheuerer B, Brandt E, Baran J, Pryjma J, Ernst M: The role of cytokines in monocyte apoptosis. Pathobiology 1999;67(5–6):291–293Google Scholar
- 10.Epling-Burnette PK, Zhong B, Bai F, Jiang K, Bailey RD, Garcia R, Jove R, Djeu JY, Loughran TP Jr, Wei S: Cooperative regulation of Mcl-1 by Janus kinase/stat and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase contribute to granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor-delayed apoptosis in human neutrophils. J Immunol 2001 June 15;166(12):7486–7495Google Scholar
- 11.Warner CM, Cao W, Exley GE, McElhinny AS, Alikani M, Cohen J, Scott RT, Brenner CA: Genetic regulation of egg and embryo survival. Hum Reprod 1998 June;13(Suppl 3):178–190; discussion 191–196Google Scholar
- 12.Exley GE, Tang C, McElhinny AS, Warner CM: Expression of caspase and BCL-2 apoptotic family members in mouse preimplantation embryos. Biol Reprod 1999 July;61(1):231–239Google Scholar
- 13.Sjoblom C, Wikland M, Robertson SA: Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor promotes human blastocyst development in vitro. Hum Reprod 1999 Dec;14(12): 3069–3076Google Scholar
- 14.Krussel J, Behr B, Hirchenhain J, Wen Y, Milki AA, Cupisti S, Bielfeld P, Polan ML: Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor mRNA in human preimplantation embryos derived from tripronuclear zygotes. Fertil Steril 2000 Dec;74(6):1220–1226Google Scholar
- 15.Wrenzycki C, Wells D, Herrmann D, Miller A, Oliver J, Tervit R, Niemann H: Nuclear transfer protocol affects messenger RNA expression patterns in cloned bovine blastocysts. Biol Reprod 2001;65(1):309–317Google Scholar
- 16.Chia CM, Winston RM, Handyside AH: EGF, TGF-alpha and EGFR expression in human preimplantation embryos. Development 1995;121:299–307Google Scholar
- 17.Zhang X, Kidder GM, Watson AJ, Schultz GA, Armstrong DT: Possible roles of insulin and insulin-like growth factors in rat preimplantation development: Investigation of gene expression by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. J Reprod Fert 1994;100:375–380Google Scholar
- 18.Ruef C, Coleman DL: Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor: Pleiotropic cytokine with potential clinical usefulness. Rev Infect Dis 1990 Jan–Feb;12(1):41–62Google Scholar
- 19.Robertson SA, Mayrhofer G, Seamark RF: Ovarian steroid hormones regulate granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor synthesis by uterine epithelial cells in the mouse. Biol Reprod 1996 Jan;54(1):183–196Google Scholar
- 20.Imakawa K, Helmer SD, Nephew KP, Meka CS, Christenson RK: A novel role for GM-CSF: Enhancement of pregnancy specific interferon production, ovine trophoblast protein-1. Endocrinology 1993 April;132(4):1869–1871Google Scholar
- 21.Imakawa K, Carlson KD, McGuire WJ, Christenson RK, Taylor A: Enhancement of ovine trophoblast interferon by granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor: Possible involvement of protein kinase C. J Mol Endocrinol 1997 Oct;19(2):121–130Google Scholar
- 22.Spanos S, Becker DL, Winston RM, Hardy K: Anti-apoptotic action of insulin-like growth factor-I during human preimplantation embryo development. Biol Reprod 2000 Nov;63(5):1413–1420Google Scholar
- 23.Wuu YD, Pampfer S, Becquet P, Vanderheyden I, Lee KH, De Hertogh R: Tumor necrosis factor alpha decreases the viability of mouse blastocysts in vitro and in vivo. Biol Reprod 1999 Feb;60(2):479–483Google Scholar
- 24.Lotem J, Sachs L: Hematopoietic cytokines inhibit apoptosis induced by transforming growth factor beta 1 and cancer chemotherapy compounds in myeloid leukemic cells. Blood 1992 Oct 1;80(7):1750–1757Google Scholar
- 25.Salveson GS, Dixit VM: Caspases: Intracellular signaling by proteolysis. Cell 1997;91:443–446Google Scholar
- 27.Brison DR, Schultz RM: Increased incidence of apoptosis in transforming growth factor alpha-deficient mouse blastocysts. Biol Reprod 1998 July;59(1):136–144Google Scholar
- 28.Kamjoo M, Brison DR, Kimber SJ: Apoptosis in the preimplantation mouse embryo: Effect of strain difference and in vitro culture. Mol Reprod Dev 2002 Jan;61(1):67–77Google Scholar