A New Format for Learning about Farm Animal Welfare
- 308 Downloads
Farm animal welfare is a knowledge domain that can be regarded as a model for new ways of organizing learning and making higher education more responsive to the needs of society. Global concern for animal welfare has resulted in a great demand for knowledge. As a complement to traditional education in farm animal welfare, higher education can be more demand driven and look at a broad range of methods to make knowledge available. The result of an inventory on “farm animal welfare,” “e-learning,” “learning resources,” and “open educational resources” in three different search engines is presented. A huge amount of information on animal welfare is available on the Internet but many of the providers lock in the knowledge in a traditional course context. Only a few universities develop and disseminate open learning resources within the subject. Higher education institutions are encouraged to develop open educational resources in animal welfare for the benefit of teachers, students, society, and, indirectly, animal welfare.
KeywordsAnimal welfare Open educational resources E-learning Learning resources Web search
We would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their helpful comments on an earlier version of this paper.
- Alessandrini, B. (2008). The role of the IZS A&M as OIE Collaborating Centre on veterinary training, epidemiology, food safety and animal welfare. OIE Animal Welfare conference, Cairo, 20–22 October. http://www.oie.int/eng/A_AW2008/PDF/Session%20II/8_OIE_AWCairo_B_Alessandrini_EN.pdf. Accessed Jan 2010.
- Algers, B. (2009). A risk assessment approach to animal welfare. In J. M. Smulders & B. Algers (Eds.), Food safety assurance and veterinary public health. Vol. 5. Welfare of production animals: assessment and management of risks. ISBN: 978–90-8686–122-4 (pp. 223–235). The Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- ASTD. (2010). American Society for Training & Development. http://www.astd.org/. Accessed Jan 2010.
- Bayvel, A. C. D., Rahman, S. A., & Gavinelli, A. (Eds.). (2005). Animal Welfare: Global -issues. Trends and challenges. Revue Scientifique et Technique de l’office International des Epizooties, 24, 463–813.Google Scholar
- Beer, D., Busse, T., Hamburg, I., Mill, U., & Paul, H. (Eds.). 2006. E-learning in European SMEs. Observations, analysis & forecasting. Proceedings of the ARIEL final Conference, 08112005 in Brussels, pp. 222. ISBN-10 3-8309-1631-0. Waxman, Germany.Google Scholar
- Biggs, J. (2003). Teaching for quality learning at university. What the student does (2nd ed.). Berkshire, UK: The society for Research into Higher Education & Open University Press. 309 pp.Google Scholar
- Broglio, R. S. (2009). Animal welfare in science and society. In J. M. Smulders & B. Algers (Eds.), Food safety assurance and veterinary public health. Vol. 5. Welfare of production animals: assessment and management of risks. ISBN: 978–90-8686–122-4 (pp. 45–58). The Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Broom, D. M. (2009). Animal welfare and legislation. In J. M. Smulders & B. Algers (Eds.), Food safety assurance and veterinary public health. Vol. 5. Welfare of production animals: assessment and management of risks. ISBN: 978–90-8686–122-4 (pp. 339–350). The Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Dawkins, M. S. (2004). Using behaviour to assess animal welfare. Animal Welfare, 13, 3–7.Google Scholar
- Edwards, S. A. (2002). A synthesis of animal bioethics teaching in agricultural and veterinary courses in Northern Europe. In Proceedings Teaching Animal Bioethics in Agricultural and Veterinary Higher Education in Europe. AFANet Workshop, INPL, Nancy France, 23–24 May 2002. pp. 57–61.Google Scholar
- EFSA. (2009a). Scientific Opinion of the Panel on Animal Health and Welfare on a request from European Commission on General approach to fish welfare and to the concept of sentience in fish. The EFSA Journal, 954, 1–26.Google Scholar
- EFSA. (2009b). www.efsa.europa.eu/EFSA/efsa_locale-1178620753812_1211902134066.htm. Accessed Dec 2009.
- European Commission. (2002). Communication from the commission to the council and the European Parliament on Animal Welfare Legislation on farmed animals in third countries and the implications for the EU, COM (2002) 626 final. http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/welfare/references/2002_0626_en.pdf>. Accessed Dec 2009.
- European Commission. (2009). http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/welfare/international/index_en.htm. Accessed Dec 2009.
- FAO. (2009). Gateway to Farm Animal Welfare. http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/programmes/animal-welfare/about-the-gateway/what-is-the-gateway/en/. Accessed 6 Jan 2009.
- FAO. (2010). Food balance sheet. FAOSTAT Database, 14 July 2005 update. Available at: http://faostat.fao.org/site/565/default.aspx. Accessed Jan 2010.
- Fraser, D. (2004). Applying science to animal welfare standards. Proceedings of the Global Conference on Animal Welfare: An OIE initiative, Paris, 23–25 February 2004, pp. 121–127.Google Scholar
- Fraser, D. (2006). Animal welfare assurance programs in food production: A framework for assessing the options. Animal Welfare, 15, 93–104.Google Scholar
- Fraser, D. (2008). Toward a global perspective on farm animal welfare. Journal of Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 113(4), 330–339.Google Scholar
- Gibbons, M., Limognes, C., Nowotny, H., Schwartzman, S., Scott, P., & Trow, M. (1994). The new production of knowledge. The dynamics of science and research in contemporary societies. London: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Hanlon, A. J. (2008). Animal Welfare in Veterinary Medicine Education. Redvet. http://www.veterinaria.org/revistas/redvet/n101008B/BA022.pdf. Accessed Jan 2010.
- Hanlon, A. J., Algers, A., Dich, T., Hansen, T., Loor, H., & Sandøe, P. (2009). ‘www.animalethicsdilemma.net: A learning resource for university lecturers in animal sciences and veterinary medicine. In K. Millar, P. Hobson-West, B. Nerlich (Eds.), Ethical futures: bioscience and food horizons (pp. 187–191). ISBN: 978-90-8686-115-6. The Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- Harrison, R. (1964). Animal machines: The new factory farming industry. London: Stuart. pp. 186.Google Scholar
- Hemsworth, P. H., & Coleman, G. J. (2009). Animal welfare and management. In J. M. Smulders & B. Algers (Eds.), Food safety assurance and veterinary public health. Vol. 5. Welfare of production animals: assessment and management of risks. ISBN: 978–90-8686–122-4 (pp. 133–147). The Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Hemsworth, P. H., Coleman, G. J., Barnett, J. L., Borg, S., & Dowling, S. (2002). The effects of cognitive behaviour intervention on the attitude and behaviour of stockpersons and the behaviour and productivity of commercial dairy cows. Journal of Animal Science, 80, 68–78.Google Scholar
- Mason, R., & Rennie, F. (2006). Elearning: The key concepts. London, New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Nordstrom, P. A., Richards, M. J., Wilson, L. L., Coe, B. L., Fivek, M. L., & Brown, M. B. (2000). Assessing student attitudes towards animal welfare, resource use, and food safety. Journal of Agricultural Education, 41(3), 31–39.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2007). Giving knowledge for Free—the Emergence of Open Educational Resources, no 3, pp. 153. Paris, France. www.sourceoecd.org/education/9789264031746. Accessed Oct 2009.
- OIE. (2005). Terrestrial Animal Health Code. 2005. World Organization for Animal Health (OIE), Paris, France.Google Scholar
- OIE. (2009). http://www.oie.int/eng/Edito/en_edito_apr09.htm. Accessed Dec 2009.
- Pajor, E. A., Kahn, S., & Stuardo, L. (2008). Animal Welfare Education and Research Resources Database. OIE Animal Welfare conference, Cairo, 20–22 October. http://www.oie.int/eng/A_AW2008/PDF/Session%20VII/23_OIE_AWCairo_E_Pajor_EN.pdf. Accessed Jan 2010.
- Siemens, G. (2003). Why we should share learning resources, available at: www.elearnspace.org/Articles/why_we_should_share.htm. Accessed Dec 2009.
- Special Eurobarometer. (2007) Attitudes of EU citizens towards Animal Welfare. http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_270_en.pdf. Accessed Dec 2009.
- Welfare Quality®. (2009). www.welfarequality.net. Accessed Dec 2009.