Academic Integrity in Higher Education: The Case of Plagiarism of Graduation Reports by Undergraduate Seniors in Vietnam
Plagiarism in higher education has become widespread among students in Vietnam. This paper aims to examine the seriousness of the problem by comparing the severity of plagiarism in two universities, one of which uses Turnitin software to check its student reports. For that purpose, 977 samples have been drawn from 1434 required graduation reports written by senior undergraduates in the economics and management field from 2013 to 2015. Turnitin’s “Similarity Index” (SI) was used to check for alleged plagiarism, which was found to be more widespread at the university not using Turnitin. At that university, 91.7% of the graduation reports were defined as plagiarized, while 61.7% of the reports were plagiarized at the university using the software. The main source of this problem was the use of information from the internet without citing the original authors.
KeywordsAcademic integrity Plagiarism Higher education Similarity index Turnitin software
The authors thank Dr. Michael J. Barnes for editing our manuscripts as well as Mr. Duong Kim Thanh and Ms. Pham Nhu Binh for helping to collect data.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Adiningrum, T. S., & Kutieleh, S. (2011). How different are we? Understanding and managing plagiarism between east and West. Journal of Academic Language and Learning, 5(2), 88–98.Google Scholar
- Batane, T. (2010). Turning to Turnitin to fight plagiarism among university students. Educational Technology & Society, 13(2), 1–12.Google Scholar
- Bennington, A. J., & Singh, H. (2013). Faculty expectations of administration: Predictors of intention to report student plagiarism. Academy of Educational Leadership Journal, 17(4), 63–76.Google Scholar
- Biggam, J. (2008). Succeeding with your master’s dissertation: A step-by-step guide. London: Oen University Press.Google Scholar
- Bretag, T. (2013). Challenges in addressing plagiarism in education. PLoS Medicine, 10(12). doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001574.
- Bretag, T., & Mahmud, S. (2009). A model for determining student plagiarism: Electronic detection and academic judgement. Journal of University Teaching & Learning Practice, 6(1), 49–60.Google Scholar
- Coughlin, P. E. (2015). Plagiarism in five universities in Mozambique: magnitude, detection techniques, and control measures. International Journal for Educational Integrity, 11(2). doi: 10.1007/s40979-015-0003-5.
- Ehrich, J., Howard, S. J., Mu, C., & Bokosmaty, S. (2014). A comparison of Chinese and Australian university students' attitudes towards plagiarism. Studies in Higher Education, 1–16. doi: 10.1080/03075079.2014.927850.
- Hoang, V. Q., Dung, T. T., Napier, N. K., & Ha, D. T. (2013). Business education in the emerging economy of Vietnam: Twenty years of expectations, illusions and lessons. In I. Alon, V. Jones, & J. R. McIntyre (Eds.), Innovation in business education in emerging markets (pp. 96–109). London: Palgrave Macmillan UK.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ison, D. C. (2014). Does the online environment promote plagiarism? A comparative study of dissertations from brick-and-mortar versus online institutions. Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 10(2), 272–281.Google Scholar
- Jenaa, Y., & Sihotanga, K. (2015). “winning is everything” as the basis of academic misconduct among Indonesian students. Sociology, 5(2), 157–162.Google Scholar
- Kimmelman, M. (2011). In Germany, uproar over a doctoral thesis. The New York times. Retrieved March 9, 2016, from http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/books/merkels-possible-successor-resigns-in-plagiarism-scandal.html?_r=0
- Kupferschmidt, K. (2014). Former German minister drop her fight to reclaim Ph.D. Science Magazine, April 10, 2014. Retrieved March 7, 2016, from http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/04/former-german-minister-drops-her-fight-reclaim-phd
- Maxwell, A., Curtis, G. J., & Vardanega, L. (2008). Does culture influence understanding and perceived seriousness of plagiarism? International Journal for Educational Integrity, 4(2), 25–40.Google Scholar
- Merriam-Webster. (2014). Merriam-Webster online. Retrieved February 4, 2016 from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plagiarism
- Semmelweis University. (2012). University senate revokes Pál Schmitt’s doctoral (dr.univ.) title. Press release, March, 30, 2012. Retrieved March 7, 2016, from http://semmelweis.hu/mediasarok/2012/03/30/university-senate-revokes-pal-schmitt%E2%80%99s-doctoral-dr-univ-title/
- Sutherland, T. E. (2004). Defining and avoiding plagiarism: the council of writing program administrators’ statement on best practices. Accounting Education News, 32(1/2), 5–8.Google Scholar
- Teesside University. (2013). Interpreting turnitin originality report. Retrieved December 27, 2014, from https://eat.scm.tees.ac.uk/bb8content/resources/recipes/interpretTurnitin.pdf
- The University of the West Indies. (2010). Guidelines for staff and students on Plagiarsim. Retrieved December 27, 2014, from http://sta.uwi.edu/resources/documents/postgrad/guidelines_staff_students_plagarism.pdf
- Thurmond, B. H. (2010). Student plagiarism and the use of a plagiarism detection tool by community college faculty. PhD diss., Indiana State University.Google Scholar
- Tuoitrenews. (2015). Vietnam universities push for effort to solve alarming plagiarism issue. Retrieved March 29, 2016, from http://tuoitrenews.vn/education/28426/vietnam-universities-push-for-effort-to-solve-alarming-plagiarism-issue
- Turnitin. (2012). Defining plagiarism: The plagiarism spectrum. Retrieved December 17, 2016, from http://www.turnitin.com/assets/en_us/media/plagiarism_spectrum.php?_ga=1.86027739.2101679295.1483526126
- Turnitin. (2014). Instructor training: about originality check. Retrieved December 11, 2014, from http://turnitin.com/en_us/training/instructor-training/about-originalitycheck
- Twomey, T. (2009). What’s the deal with Turnitin? In T. Twomey, H. White, & K. Sagendorf (Eds.), Pedagogy, not policing: Positive approaches to academic integrity at the university (pp. 149–155). New York: The Graduate School Press of Syracuse University.Google Scholar
- Wang, Y. (2008). University student online plagiarism. International Journal on E-Learning, 7(4), 743–757.Google Scholar
- Wilkinson, J. (2009). Staff and student perceptions of plagiarism and cheating. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 20(2), 98–105.Google Scholar