Ethics in the Humanities: Findings from Focus Groups
- 308 Downloads
This project examined the ethical issues faced by academics and professionals in the Humanities. We conducted focus groups to gather information about the ethical concerns in these fields and used the qualitative data arising from the discussions to create a taxonomy that represents the structure of ethical issues in the Humanities. A key implication of our findings is that while the focus of ethics research and interventions has been primarily on the sciences and engineering, academics and professionals in other fields also encounter some unique critical ethical dilemmas that require further research and methods of intervention.
KeywordsIntegrity Ethics Ethics taxonomy Focus groups
We would like to thank the panel members who participated in this project. We would also like to acknowledge the Graduate College for providing the grants for compensating participants.
- Calame, B. (2006). Preventing a second Jayson Blair. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com. June 18.
- Italie, H., & Mandak, J. (2009). Shepard Fairey admits faking evidence in AP case. The Huffington Post. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com.October 19.
- Kennedy, R. (2009). Artist sues the A.P. over Obama image. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com.February 9.
- Lewis, M. (2002). Doris Kearns Goodwin and the credibility gap. Forbes. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com. February 27.
- Mumford, M. D., Antes, A. L., Beeler, C., & Caughron, J. (2009). On the corruptions of scientists: The influence of field, environment, and personality. In R. J. Burke & C. L. Cooper (Eds.), Research companion to corruption in organization (pp.145–170).Google Scholar
- National Institutes of Health. (2009). Summary of the FY2010 President’s Budget. Retrieved June 3, 2009, from http://officeofbudget.od.nih.gov/UI/2010/Summary%20of%20FY%202010%20President%27s%20Budget.pdf. May 7.
- Ng, D. (2009). Shepard Fairey admits to wrongdoing in Associated Press lawsuit. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2009/10/shepard-fairey-admits-to-wrongdoing-in-associated-press-lawsuit.html. October 16.
- Steneck, N. H. (2007). ORI introduction to the responsible conduct of research. Washington DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Times reporter who resigned leaves a long trail of deception. (2003). The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/11/national/11PAPE.html?pagewanted=1. May 11.