Early Detection, Diagnosis and Intervention Services for Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder in the European Union (ASDEU): Family and Professional Perspectives
- 1 Downloads
Early services for ASD need to canvas the opinions of both parents and professionals. These opinions are seldom compared in the same research study. This study aims to ascertain the views of families and professionals on early detection, diagnosis and intervention services for young children with ASD. An online survey compiled and analysed data from 2032 respondents across 14 European countries (60.9% were parents; 39.1% professionals). Using an ordinal scale from 1 to 7, parents’ opinions were more negative (mean = 4.6; SD 2.2) compared to those of professionals (mean = 4.9; SD 1.5) when reporting satisfaction with services. The results suggest services should take into account child’s age, delays in accessing services, and active stakeholders’ participation when looking to improve services.
KeywordsAutism spectrum disorder Early detection Diagnosis Patient satisfaction Mental health services Survey
The authors would like to thank all those who participated in this study, and express their gratitude for the European Parliament grant EC DG-SANTÉ 2014/C2/035.
ABM, RCB, MMM and MP designed the study and wrote the manuscript; ABM, MP and RCB carried out the statistical analyses and interpreted the results; CFA and PGP collaborated in writing the manuscript. ABM, RCB, MMM, CJF and MP designed the surveys and MRS, AB, RL, HB, SVP, DS, CW, SC, AN, FM, MLS, IM, AY, ES, SLJ, MEB, AV, CR, BR, QG, SB, LP, JXK ODK, RK, EP and TS translated the surveys into their native languages and disseminated them in their respective countries. All authors have read and approved the final manuscript.
This study was funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness [Grant PSI2016-80575-R], the European Union, DGSANCO, [Ref.: SANCO/2014/C2/035], and the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport [Ref.: BOE-B-2017-2646]. These funders had no role in the study design, the collection, analysis or interpretation of the data, the writing of the manuscript, or the decision to submit the paper for publication.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflict of interest to declare.
Ethical approval was given by the Research Ethics Committee of the University of Salamanca, Spain (201700008785).
- Allison, C., Baron-Cohen, S., Wheelwright, S., Charman, T., Richler, J., Pasco, G., et al. (2008). The Q-CHAT (Quantitative CHecklist for Autism in Toddlers): A normally distributed quantitative measure of autistic traits at 18–24 months of age: preliminary report. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 38(8), 1414–1425. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-007-0509-7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-5®). Biobehavioral Reviews, 33, 1204–1214.Google Scholar
- Austin, J., Manning-Courtney, P., Johnson, M. L., Weber, R., Johnson, H., Murray, D., … Murray, M. (2016). Improving access to care at autism treatment centers: A System analysis approach. Pediatrics, 137(Supplement 2), S149–S157. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-2851M.
- Autism Spectrum Disorders in the European Union (ASDEU, 2015–2018). Retrieved September 26, 2017, from http://asdeu.eu/.
- Bluth, K., Roberson, P. N. E., Billen, R. M., & Sams, J. M. (2013). A stress model for couples parenting children with autism spectrum disorders and the introduction of a mindfulness intervention. Journal of Family Theory & Review, 5(3), 194–213. https://doi.org/10.1111/jftr.12015.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Crais, E. R., McComish, C. S., Humphreys, B. P., Watson, L. R., Baranek, G. T., Reznick, J. S., … Earls, M. (2014b). Pediatric healthcare professionals’ views on autism spectrum disorder screening at 12-18 months. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 44(9), 2311–2328. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-014-2101-2.
- Crane, L., Batty, R., Adeyinka, H., Goddard, L., Henry, L. A., & Hill, E. L. (2018). Autism diagnosis in the United Kingdom: Perspectives of autistic adults, parents and professionals. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 48(11), 3761–3772. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-018-3639-1.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Daniels, A. M., Como, A., Kostadinova, K., Hergüner, S., Stosic, J., & Shih, A. (2017). Autism in southeast Europe: A survey of caregivers of children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 47, 2314–2325. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-017-3145-x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Divan, G., Vajaratkar, V., Desai, M. U., Strik-Lievers, L., & Patel, V. (2012). Challenges, coping strategies, and unmet needs of families with a child with autism spectrum disorder in Goa, India. Autism Research, 5(3), 190–200. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.1225.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Durkin, M. S., Maenner, M. J., Meaney, F. J., Levy, S. E., DiGuiseppi, C., Nicholas, J. S., … Schieve, L. A. (2010). Socioeconomic inequality in the prevalence of autism spectrum disorder: evidence from a U.S. cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE, 5(7), e11551. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0011551.
- Fletcher-Watson, S., Apicella, F., Auyeung, B., Beranova, S., Bonnet-Brilhault, F., Canal-Bedia, R., … Yirmiya, N. (2017). Attitudes of the autism community to early autism research. Autism, 21(1), 61–74. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361315626577.
- García-Primo, P., Hellendoorn, A., Charman, T., Roeyers, H., Dereu, M., Roge, B., … Canal-Bedia, R. (2014). Screening for autism spectrum disorders: state of the art in Europe. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 23(11), 1005–1021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00787-014-0555-6.
- Gotham, K., Marvin, A. R., Taylor, J. L., Warren, Z., Anderson, C. M., Law, P. A., … Lipkin, P. H. (2015). Characterizing the daily life, needs, and priorities of adults with autism spectrum disorder from Interactive Autism Network data. Autism, 19(7), 794–804. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361315583818.
- Griffith, G. M., Hastings, R. P., Nash, S., & Hill, C. (2010). Using matched groups to explore child behavior problems and maternal well-being in children with down syndrome and autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 40(5), 610–619. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-009-0906-1.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hayes, S. A., & Watson, S. L. (2013). The impact of parenting stress: A meta-analysis of studies comparing the experience of parenting stress in parents of children with and without autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 43(3), 629–642. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-012-1604-y.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ingersoll, B., Shannon, K., Berger, N., Pickard, K., & Holtz, B. (2017). Self-directed telehealth parent-mediated intervention for children with autism spectrum disorder: Examination of the potential reach and utilization in community settings. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 19(7), e248. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.7484.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kalkbrenner, A. E., Daniels, J. L., Emch, M., Morrissey, J., Poole, C., & Chen, J.-C. (2011). Geographic access to health services and diagnosis with an autism spectrum disorder. Annals of Epidemiology, 21(4), 304–310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2010.11.010.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kasari, C., Gulsrud, A., Paparella, T., Hellemann, G., & Berry, K. (2015). Randomized comparative efficacy study of parent-mediated interventions for toddlers with autism. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 83(3), 554–563. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0039080.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Keenan, M., Dillenburger, K., Doherty, A., Byrne, T., & Gallagher, S. (2010). The experiences of parents during diagnosis and forward planning for children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 23(4), 390–397. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-3148.2010.00555.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kogan, M. D., Strickland, B. B., Blumberg, S. J., Singh, G. K., Perrin, J. M., & van Dyck, P. C. (2008). A national profile of the health care experiences and family impact of autism spectrum disorder among children in the United States, 2005–2006. Pediatrics, 122(6), e1149–1158. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-1057.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liptak, G. S., Benzoni, L. B., Mruzek, D. W., Nolan, K. W., Thingvoll, M. A., Wade, C. M., et al. (2008). Disparities in diagnosis and access to health services for children with autism: data from the National Survey of Children’s Health. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics: JDBP, 29(3), 152–160. https://doi.org/10.1097/DBP.0b013e318165c7a0.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- McConachie, H., Parr, J. R., Glod, M., Hanratty, J., Livingstone, N., Oono, I. P., … Williams, K. (2015). Systematic review of tools to measure outcomes for young children with autism spectrum disorder. Health Technology Assessment, 19(41), 1–506. https://doi.org/10.3310/hta19410.
- McKenzie, K., Forsyth, K., O’Hare, A., McClure, I., Rutherford, M., Murray, A., et al. (2015). Factors influencing waiting times for diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder in children and adults. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 45–46, 300–306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2015.07.033.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ngui, E. M., & Flores, G. (2006). Satisfaction with care and ease of using health care services among parents of children with special health care needs: The roles of race/ethnicity, insurance, language, and adequacy of family-centered care. Pediatrics, 117(4), 1184–1196. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-1088.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Oswald, D. P., Haworth, S. M., Mackenzie, B. K., & Willis, J. H. (2017). Parental report of the diagnostic process and outcome: ASD compared with other developmental disabilities. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 32(2), 152–160. https://doi.org/10.1177/1088357615587500.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pickles, A., Couteur, A. L., Leadbitter, K., Salomone, E., Cole-Fletcher, R., Tobin, H., … Green, J. (2016). Parent-mediated social communication therapy for young children with autism (PACT): long-term follow-up of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 388(10059), 2501–2509. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)31229-6.
- Robins, D. L., Casagrande, K., Barton, M., Chen, C.-M. A., Dumont-Mathieu, T., & Fein, D. (2014). Validation of the modified checklist for autism in toddlers, revised with follow-up (M-CHAT-R/F). Pediatrics, 133(1), 37–45. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-1813.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sacrey, L.-A. R., Zwaigenbaum, L., Bryson, S., Brian, J., Smith, I. M., Roberts, W., … Armstrong, V. (2015). Can parents’ concerns predict autism spectrum disorder? A prospective study of high-risk siblings from 6 to 36 months of age. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 54(6), 470–478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2015.03.014.
- Salomone, E., Charman, T., McConachie, H., Warreyn, P., & Working Group 4, COST Action ‘Enhancing the Scientific Study of Early Autism’. (2015). Prevalence and correlates of use of complementary and alternative medicine in children with autism spectrum disorder in Europe. European Journal of Pediatrics, 174(10), 1277–1285. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00431-015-2531-7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stadnick, N. A., Drahota, A., & Brookman-Frazee, L. (2013). Parent perspectives of an evidence-based intervention for children with autism served in community mental health clinics. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 22(3), 414–422. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-012-9594-0.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wang, L., Mandell, D. S., Lawer, L., Cidav, Z., & Leslie, D. L. (2013). Healthcare service use and costs for autism spectrum disorder: A comparison between medicaid and private insurance. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 43(5), 1057–1064. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-012-1649-y.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Weiss, J. A., Cappadocia, M. C., MacMullin, J. A., Viecili, M., & Lunsky, Y. (2012). The impact of child problem behaviors of children with ASD on parent mental health: The mediating role of acceptance and empowerment. Autism, 16(3), 261–274. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361311422708.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2018). International classification of diseases for mortality and morbidity statistics (11th Revision). Retrieved from https://icd.who.int/browse11/l-m/en.
- Zablotsky, B., Colpe, L. J., Pringle, B. A., Kogan, M. D., Rice, C., & Blumberg, S. J. (2017). Age of parental concern, diagnosis, and service initiation among children with autism spectrum disorder. American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 122(1), 49–61. https://doi.org/10.1352/1944-7558-122.1.49.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhao, S., Chen, W.-J., Dhar, S. U., Eble, T. N., Kwok, O.-M., & Chen, L.-S. (2019). Needs assessment in genetic testing education: A survey of parents of children with autism spectrum disorder in the united states. Autism Research, 12(8), 1162–1170. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.2152.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar