Brief Report: Autism Spectrum Disorder and Substance Use Disorder: A Review and Case Study
- 1.3k Downloads
There is limited literature available on the comorbidity between autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and substance use disorder (SUD). This paper reviews existing literature and exemplifies the challenges of treating this population with a case report of an adult male with ASD and DSM-5 alcohol use disorder. This review and case study seeks to illustrate risk factors which predispose individuals with ASD to developing SUD and discuss the obstacles to and modifications of evidence-based treatments for SUD. A review of the therapeutic interventions implemented in the treatment of this young male are described to highlight potential recommendations for the general management of SUD in those with ASD.
KeywordsAutism Autism spectrum disorder Substance use disorder Alcohol dependence
The authors thank the Nancy Lurie Marks Family Foundation for their support.
AR made substantial contributions to the conceptualization and design, acquisition of data, and drafting of the manuscript. JM made substantial contributions to analysis and interpretation of the data and revising the manuscript critically for important intellectual content. JO made substantial contributions to the acquisition of data and revising the manuscript critically for important intellectual content. YH made substantial contributions to the analysis and interpretation of the data and revising the manuscript critically for important intellectual content. CM made substantial contributions to the conceptualization and design, acquisition of data, drafting of the manuscript, and revising the manuscript critically for important intellectual content. Each author gave final approval of the version of the manuscript to be published.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing.Google Scholar
- Sizoo, B., van den Brink, W., Gorissen van Eenige, M., & Jan van der Gaag, R. (2009). Personality characteristics of adults with autism spectrum disorders or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder with and without substance use disorders. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 197, 450–454.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sizoo, B., van den Brink, W., Koeter, M., Gorissen van Eenige, M., van Wjingaarden-Cremers, P., et al. (2010). Treatment seeking adults with autism or ADHD and co-morbid substance use disorder: Prevalence, risk factors and functional disability. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 107, 44–50.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tinsley, M., & Hendrickx, S. (2008). Asperger syndrome and alcohol: Drinking to cope?. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers Ltd.Google Scholar
- Wijngaarden-Cremers, P. J. M., Van den Brink, W., & van der Gaag, R. J. (2014). Addiction and autism: A remarkable comorbidity? Journal of Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, 2, 170.Google Scholar