Brief Report: Forecasting the Economic Burden of Autism in 2015 and 2025 in the United States
Few US estimates of the economic burden of autism spectrum disorders (ASD) are available and none provide estimates for 2015 and 2025. We forecast annual direct medical, direct non-medical, and productivity costs combined will be $268 billion (range $162–$367 billion; 0.884–2.009 % of GDP) for 2015 and $461 billion (range $276–$1011 billion; 0.982–3.600 % of GDP) for 2025. These 2015 figures are on a par with recent estimates for diabetes and attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and exceed the costs of stroke and hypertension. If the prevalence of ASD continues to grow as it has in recent years, ASD costs will likely far exceed those of diabetes and ADHD by 2025.
KeywordsCosts Non-medical services Prevalence
- Amendah, D., Grosse, S. D., et al. (2011). The economic costs of autism: A review. In D. Amaral, G. Dawson, & D. Geschwind (Eds.), Autism spectrum disorders. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Bodenheimer, T., & Grumback, K. (2012). Understanding health policy: A clinical approach. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Data and Statistics. (2014). http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html. Accessed November 10, 2014.
- Congressional Budget Office. (2014). The economic outlook. (pp. 27–48) Table 2–1, p. 30. http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/45010-breakout-Chapter2.pdf Accessed November 15, 2014
- Ganz, M. (2006). The costs of autism. In S. Moldin & J. Rubenstein (Eds.), Understanding autism: From basic neuroscience to treatment. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Go, A. S., Mozaffarian, D., Roger, V. L., et al. (2014). Heart disease and stroke statistics—2014 update: A report from the American Heart Association. Circulation, 128, 1–267.Google Scholar
- Knapp, M., & Buescher, A. (2014). Economic aspects of autism. In F. R. Volkmar, R. Paul, S. J. Rogers, & K. A. Pelphrey (Eds.), Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders (4th ed., Vol. 2, pp. 1089–1106).Google Scholar
- Office of the Actuary in the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2014). NHE Projections 2013–2023—Tables, Table 1. http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealthExpendData/NationalHealthAccountsProjected.html. Accessed December 1, 2014
- US Census Projections. (2014). http://www.census.gov/population/projections/Accessed November 24, 2014.