Brief Report: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Clinical Trial
- 1.1k Downloads
We sought to determine whether HBOT leads to parental reported behavioral changes and alterations in cytokines in children with ASD. Ten children completed 80 sessions of HBOT and all improved by 2 points on the clinician-rated CGI-I scale (much improved) as well as several parent-completed measures of behavior. The lack of a control group limits the ability to determine if improvements were related to HBOT. Enrolled children did not exhibit abnormal cytokine levels at baseline and no significant changes in mean cytokine levels were observed. Although this study was limited by the small sample size and by the variable nature of cytokines, we found no evidence that HBOT affects cytokine levels or that cytokine levels were associated with behavioral changes.
KeywordsAutism Clinical trial Alternative therapy
We gratefully acknowledge the families and children who participated in this study to help advance scientific research in autism. This work was supported by grants from the MIND Institute (Dr. Hendren) and Autism Speaks, the Higgins Family Foundation, The Emch Foundation, The Taube Foundation, NIH/NCRR UCSF-CTSI Grant Number UL1 RR024131 (Dr. Bent) and the C.H.E.R.I.S.H. Foundation (Edward Nemeth), which provided funding for all HBOT treatments.
- Bennett, M. H., Kertesz, T., & Yeung, P. (2007). Hyperbaric oxygen for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 1, CD004739.Google Scholar
- Jepson, B., Granpeesheh, D., Tarbox, J., Olive, M. L., Stott, C., Braud, S., et al. (2010). Controlled evaluation of the effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on the behavior of 16 children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Development Disorders, 415(5), 575–588.Google Scholar
- Kranke, P., Bennett, M., Roeckl-Wiedmann, I., & Debus, S. (2004). Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for chronic wounds. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2, CD004123.Google Scholar
- McDonagh, M., Carson, S., Ash, J., Russman, B. S., Stavri, P. Z., Krages, K. P., et al. (2003). Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for brain injury, cerebral palsy, and stroke. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment (Summary), 85, 1–6.Google Scholar
- Senechal, C., Larivee, S., Richard, E., & Marois, P. (2007). Hyperbaric oxygenation therapy in the treatment of cerebral palsy: A review and comparison to currently accepted therapies. Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, 12(4), 109–113.Google Scholar