Brief Report: Adaptive Behavior and Cognitive Skills for Toddlers on the Autism Spectrum
- First Online:
- 559 Downloads
This study examined adaptive behavior and cognitive skills for 125 toddlers on the autism spectrum using the recently updated Vineland-II and Bayley-III. Delays in adaptive skills were apparent at 2 years of age. As a group, toddlers on the autism spectrum had a profile of Vineland-II standard scores in which Motor Skills > Daily Living Skills > Socialization > Communication. Vineland-II scores were significantly correlated with Bayley-III Cognitive scores. Performance on the ADOS was significantly negatively correlated with Bayley-III Cognitive standard scores and standard scores in the Daily Living Skills and Communication domains of the Vineland-II. However, calibrated ADOS scores did not contribute significant variance to Vineland-II scores beyond that predicted by age and Bayley-III scores.
KeywordsAutism Adaptive behavior Vineland Cognitive skills Bayley
- Bayley, N. (2006). Bayley scales of infant and toddler development (3rd ed.). San Antonio, TX: PsychCorp.Google Scholar
- Bishop, L. S., Luyster, R., Richler, J., & Lord, C. (2008). Diagnostic assessment. In K. Chawarska, A. Klin, & F. R. Volkmar (Eds.), Autism spectrum disorders in infants and toddlers (pp. 50–75). New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Brassard, M. R., & Boehm, A. E. (2007). Preschool assessment: Principles and practices. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Cicchetti, D. V., Koenig, K., Klin, A., Volkmar, F. R., Paul, R., & Sparrow, S. (2010). From Bayes through marginal utility to effect sizes: a guide to understanding the clinical and statistical significance of the results of autism research findings. Journal of Autsim and Developmental Disorders. doi:10.1007/s10803-010-1035-6.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.Google Scholar
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., DiLavore, P. C., & Risi, S. (2002). Autism diagnostic observation schedule manual. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.Google Scholar
- Rutter, M., Le Couteur, A., & Lord, C. (2003). Autism diagnostic interview-revised-WPS. In: WPS (Ed.) Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.Google Scholar
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J., & Renner, B. R. (1988). The childhood autism rating scale (CARS). Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.Google Scholar
- Sparrow, S. S., Balla, D. A., & Cicchetti, D. V. (1984). Vineland adaptive behavior scales. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.Google Scholar
- Sparrow, S. S., Cicchetti, V. D., & Balla, A. D. (2005). Vineland adaptive behavior scales (2nd ed.). Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.Google Scholar