Screening for Autism Spectrum Disorders in Flemish Day-Care Centres with the Checklist for Early Signs of Developmental Disorders
- 577 Downloads
A new screening instrument for ASD was developed that can be filled out by child care workers: the Checklist for Early Signs of Developmental Disorders (CESDD). The predictive validity of the CESDD was evaluated in a population of 6,808 children between 3 and 39 months attending day-care centres in Flanders. The CESDD had a sensitivity of .80 and a specificity of .94. Based on the screening procedure used in this study, 41 children were diagnosed with ASD or got a working diagnosis of ASD. Thus, including child care workers’ report on signs of ASD in screening procedures can help to identify cases of ASD at a young age.
KeywordsAutism spectrum disorder Screening Early identification Child care Toddlers
Partial funding for this research was provided by support from Steunpunt Expertisenetwerken and Vlaamse Vereniging Autisme.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association. (Text Revision).Google Scholar
- Dereu, M., Meirsschaut, M., Warreyn, P., & Roeyers, H. (2006). The Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers. Dutch translation. Retrieved from Georgia State University, Department of Psychology Website: http://www2.gsu.edu/~psydlr/Diana_L._Robins,_Ph.D._files/M-CHAT_Dutch.pdf.
- Dietz, C., Swinkels, S. H. N., van Daalen, E., van Engeland, H., & Buitelaar, J. K. (2006). Screening for autistic spectrum disorder in children aged 14–15 months. II: Population screening with the Early Screening of Autistic Traits Questionnaire (ESAT). Design and general findings. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36, 713–722.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Filipek, P. A., Accardo, P. J., Ashwal, S., Baranek, G. T., Cook, E. H., Dawson, G., et al. (2000). Practice parameter: Screening and diagnosis of autism. Report of the quality standards subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the Child Neurology Society. Neurology, 55, 468–479.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hoff, E., & Elledge, C. (2005). Bilingualism as one of many environmental variables that affect language development. In J. Cohen, K. T. McAlister, K. Rolstad, & J. MacSwan (Eds.), Proceedings of the 4th international symposium on bilingualism. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.Google Scholar
- Honda, H., Shimizu, Y., Nitto, Y., Imai, M., Ozawa, T., Iwasa, M., et al. (2009). Extration and refinement strategy for detection of autism in 18-month-olds: A guarantee of higher sensitivity and specificity in the process of mass screening. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 50, 972–981.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kind & Gezin. (2008). Jaarverslag 2007. Retrieved March 10, 2009, from http://www.kindengezin.be/Images/Jaarverslag07_tcm149-55932.pdf.
- Kleinman, J. M., Robins, D. L., Ventola, P. E., Pandey, J., Boorstein, H. C., Esser, E. L., et al. (2008). The Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers: A follow-up study investigating the early detection of autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 38, 827–839.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., DiLavore, P., & Risi, S. (1999). Autism diagnostic observation schedule: Manual. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.Google Scholar
- Mullen, E. M. (1995). Mullen scales of early learning. Circle Pines MC: American Guidance Service.Google Scholar
- Rutter, M., Bailey, A., & Lord, C. (2003). Social communication questionnaire (SCQ). Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.Google Scholar
- Swinkels, S. H. N., Dietz, C., van Daalen, E., Kerkhof, I. H. G. M., van Engeland, H., & Buitelaar, J. K. (2006). Screening for autistic spectrum in children aged 14 to 15 months. I: The development of the early screening of autistic traits questionnaire (ESAT). Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36, 723–732.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Vanpée, K., Sannen, L., & Hedebouw, G. (2009). Child care in Flanders. Use, choice of child care type and evaluation by parents. Retvrieved December 9, 2009, from http://www.kindengezin.be/Images/rapport_child_care_tcm149-5626.doc.
- Warreyn, P., Raymaekers, R., & Roeyers, H. (2004). Handleiding Vragenlijst Sociale Communicatie. Destelbergen: SIG vzw.Google Scholar
- Watson, L. R., Baranek, G. T., Crais, E. R., Reznick, J. S., Dykstra, J., & Perryman, T. (2007). The first year inventory: Retrospective parent responses to a questionnaire designed to identify one-year-olds at risk for autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 37, 49–61.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zink, I. (2003). N-CDI’s: korte vormen. Leuven: Acco.Google Scholar