Comorbid Psychiatric Disorders Associated with Asperger Syndrome/High-functioning Autism: A Community- and Clinic-based Study
- 2.9k Downloads
The present study identifies the prevalence and types of comorbid psychiatric disorders associated with Asperger syndrome (AS)/high-functioning autism (HFA) in a combined community- and clinic-based sample of fifty 9- to 16-year-old subjects using the Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia for School-Age Children, Present and Lifetime Version. The level of functioning was estimated using the Children’s Global Assessment Scale. The results support common (prevalence 74%) and often multiple comorbid psychiatric disorders in AS/HFA; behavioral disorders were shown in 44%, anxiety disorders in 42% and tic disorders in 26%. Oppositional defiant disorder, major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders as comorbid conditions indicated significantly lower levels of functioning. To target interventions, routine evaluation of psychiatric comorbidity in subjects with AS/HFA is emphasized.
KeywordsComorbidity CGAS Asperger syndrome Autism Pervasive developmental disorders Autism spectrum disorders
For this study we received financial support from Finland’s Slot Machine Association, awarded to the Finnish Association for Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome, and from the Eija and Veikko Lesonen Foundation, Oulu, Finland, awarded to the Child Psychiatric Research Foundation, Finland. We also received research grants from the Rinnekoti Research Foundation, Espoo, Finland (Mattila), the Alma and K. A. Snellman Foundation, Oulu, Finland (Mattila, Hurtig, Kuusikko-Gauffin, Jussila), the Child Psychiatric Research Foundation, Finland (Mattila, Kuusikko-Gauffin), the Child Psychiatric Research Foundation, Oulu Area, Finland (Mattila), and the Oulu Medical Research Foundation, Oulu, Finland (Mattila). The research was also supported by The National Alliance for Autism Research (NAAR) (Pauls), the Emil Aaltonen Foundation, Finland (Ebeling), the Thule Institute, University of Oulu, Finland (Moilanen), and the Jusélius Foundation, Finland (Moilanen). The Graduate School of Circumpolar Wellbeing, Health and Adaptation is acknowledged for their support. Prior oral presentation has been given at ESCAP 2007, 13th International Congress, Florence, Italy, August 25–29, 2007, and at ESCAP 2009, 14th International Congress, Budapest, Hungary, August 22–26, 2009, and prior poster presentation at the Finnish Medical Convention in Helsinki, Finland, January 6–10, 2008. This study will be adapted into a dissertation.
- Dansk psykologisk Forlag. (2009). Available at http://www.dpf.dk.
- Ghaziuddin, M., Weidmer-Mikhail, E., & Ghaziuddin, N. (1998). Comorbidity of Asperger syndrome: a preliminary report. Journal of Intellectual Disabilities, 42(Pt 4), 279–283.Google Scholar
- Jansson-Verkasalo, E., Kujala, T., Jussila, K., Mattila, M. L., Moilanen, I., Näätänen, R., et al. (2005). Similarities in the phenotype of the auditory neural substrate in children with Asperger syndrome and their parents. European Journal of Neuroscience, 22(4), 986–990.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kaufman, J., Birmaher, B., Brent, D., Rao, U., Flynn, C., Moreci, P., et al. (1997). Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia for School-Age Children—Present and Lifetime Version (K-SADS-PL): initial reliability and validity data. Journal of the American Academy Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 36(7), 980–988.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., DiLavore, P. C., & Risi, S. (2000). Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS). Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.Google Scholar
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., & Le Couteur, A. (1995). Autism diagnostic interview-revised (ADI-R; (3rd ed.). Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.Google Scholar
- Loukusa, S., Leinonen, E., Kuusikko, S., Jussila, K., Mattila, M. L., Ryder, N., et al. (2007). Use of context in pragmatic language comprehension by children with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 37(6), 1049–1059.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mattila, M.-L., Jussila, K., Kuusikko, S., Kielinen, M., Linna, S.-L., Ebeling, H., et al. (2009). When does the Autism Spectrum Screening Questionnaire (ASSQ) predict autism spectrum disorders in primary school-aged children? European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 18(8), 499–509.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mattila, M.-L., Kielinen, M., Jussila, K., Linna, S.-L., Bloigu, R., Ebeling, H., et al. (2007). An epidemiological and diagnostic study of Asperger syndrome according to four sets of diagnostic criteria. Journal of the American Academy Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 46(5), 636–646.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Posey, D. J., Aman, M. G., McCracken, J. T., Scahill, L., Tierney, E., Arnold, L. E., et al. (2007). Positive effects of methylphenidate on inattention and hyperactivity in pervasive developmental disorders: An analysis of secondary measures. Biological Psychiatry, 61(4), 538–544.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Simonoff, E., Pickles, A., Charman, T., Chandler, S., Loucas, T., & Baird, G. (2008). Psychiatric disorders in children with autism spectrum disorders: Prevalence, comorbidity, and associated factors in a population-derived sample. Journal of the American Academy Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 47(8), 921–929.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smalley, S. L., McGough, J. J., Moilanen, I. K., Loo, S. K., Taanila, A., Ebeling, H., et al. (2007). Prevalence and psychiatric comorbidity of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in an adolescent Finnish population. Journal of the American Academy Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 46(12), 1575–1583.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Statistics Finland Website. (2000). Available at http://www.stakes.fi/EN/index.htm.
- Statistics Finland Website. (2006a). Available at http://info.stakes.fi/kouluterveyskysely/FI/tulokset/taulukot2006/tupakointi06.htm.
- Statistics Finland Website. (2006b). Available at http://info.stakes.fi/kouluterveyskysely/FI/tulokset/taulukot2006/terveys06.htm.
- Sukhodolsky, D. G., Scahill, L., Gadow, K. D., Arnold, L. E., Aman, M. G., McDougle, C. J., et al. (2008). Parent-rated anxiety symptoms in children with pervasive developmental disorders: Frequency and association with core autism symptoms and cognitive functioning. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 36(1), 117–128.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wechsler, D. (1991). Wechsler intelligence scale for children (3rd ed.). San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.Google Scholar
- White, S. W., Ollendick, T., Scahill, L., Oswald, D., & Albano, A. M. (2009a). Preliminary efficacy of a cognitive-behavioral treatment program for anxious youth with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Jun 30, [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- World Health Organisation. (1993). International classification of mental and behavioural disorders. Diagnostic Criteria for Research. Geneva: World Health Organization.Google Scholar