Monomial ideals, edge ideals of hypergraphs, and their graded Betti numbers
- 291 Downloads
We use the correspondence between hypergraphs and their associated edge ideals to study the minimal graded free resolution of squarefree monomial ideals. The theme of this paper is to understand how the combinatorial structure of a hypergraph ℋ appears within the resolution of its edge ideal ℐ(ℋ). We discuss when recursive formulas to compute the graded Betti numbers of ℐ(ℋ) in terms of its sub-hypergraphs can be obtained; these results generalize our previous work (Hà, H.T., Van Tuyl, A. in J. Algebra 309:405–425, 2007) on the edge ideals of simple graphs. We introduce a class of hypergraphs, which we call properly-connected, that naturally generalizes simple graphs from the point of view that distances between intersecting edges are “well behaved.” For such a hypergraph ℋ (and thus, for any simple graph), we give a lower bound for the regularity of ℐ(ℋ) via combinatorial information describing ℋ and an upper bound for the regularity when ℋ=G is a simple graph. We also introduce triangulated hypergraphs that are properly-connected hypergraphs generalizing chordal graphs. When ℋ is a triangulated hypergraph, we explicitly compute the regularity of ℐ(ℋ) and show that the graded Betti numbers of ℐ(ℋ) are independent of the ground field. As a consequence, many known results about the graded Betti numbers of forests can now be extended to chordal graphs.
KeywordsHypergraphs Chordal graphs Monomial ideals Graded resolutions Regularity
- 1.Barile, M. (2006). A note on the edge ideals of Ferrers graphs. Preprint. math.AC/0606353. Google Scholar
- 4.CoCoATeam. CoCoA: a system for doing computations in commutative algebra. Available at http://cocoa.dima.unige.it.
- 5.Corso, A., & Nagel, U. (2006). Monomial and toric ideals associated to Ferrers graphs. Preprint. math.AC/0609371. Google Scholar
- 9.Eliahou, S., & Villarreal, R. H. (1999). The second Betti number of an edge ideal. In Aportaciones matematicas, comunicaciones : Vol. 25. XXXI national congress of the Mexican mathematical society (pp. 115–119), Hermosillo, 1998. México: Soc. Mat. Mexicana. Google Scholar
- 12.Francisco, C., & Hà, H. T. (2006, in press). Whiskers and sequentially Cohen–Macaulay graphs. Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A. Preprint. math.AC/0605487. Google Scholar
- 14.Fröberg, R. (1990). On Stanley–Reisner rings. Topics in algebra, 26(2) 57–70. Google Scholar
- 15.Herzog, J., Hibi, T., Trung, N. V., & Zheng, X. (2006). Standard graded vertex cover algebras, cycles, and leaves. Preprint. math.AC/0606357. Google Scholar
- 19.Jacques, S. (2004). Betti numbers of graph ideals. University of Sheffield: PhD thesis. math.AC/0410107. Google Scholar
- 20.Jacques, S., & Katzman, M. (2005). The Betti numbers of forests. Preprint. math.AC/0401226. Google Scholar
- 23.Hà, H. T., & Van Tuyl, A. (2006, in press). Resolutions of squarefree monomial ideals via facet ideals: a survey. Contemporary Mathematics (AMS). Preprint. math.AC/0604301. Google Scholar
- 24.Miller, E., & Sturmfels, B. (2004). In Springer GTM : Vol. 227. Combinatorial commutative algebra. Berlin: Springer. Google Scholar
- 25.Pelsmajer, M. J., Tokaz, J., & West, D. (2004). New proofs for strongly chordal graphs and chordal bipartite graphs. Preprint. Google Scholar