SOA in practice – a study of governance aspects
- 541 Downloads
The academic literature on Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) governance is based on theories and assumptions rather than practices, whereas the SOA governance frameworks proposed by Information Technology (IT) vendors are made to suit their products. Research shows that the problems with SOA governance in practice are among the major reasons of SOA failures. An extensive literature review that covers SOA, IT governance and SOA governance has been carried out part of this research. The purpose of this research paper is to increase our understanding of SOA governance and to show which SOA aspects organizations should consider when adopting a SOA governance framework. Based on a literature review, this study first proposes a list of SOA aspects to be considered when implementing SOA governance. By adopting an interpretive research methodology – based on interviews with professionals and practitioners in the fields of IT governance and SOA governance – this research paper examines the importance of these aspects. The results provide a theoretical conceptualization of SOA aspects that can be used to assess SOA governance practices and provide guidance to improve them.
KeywordsService-oriented architecture IT governance SOA governance Governance framework SOA aspect
- Afshar, M. (2007). SOA governance: Framework and best practices. Retrieved 25 April 2011, from http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/soa/oracle-soa-governance-best-practice-066427.pdf.Google Scholar
- Beimborn, D., Joachim, N., Schlosser, F., & Streicher, B. (2009). The Role of IT/Business Alignment for Achieving SOA Business Value - Proposing a Research Model. Paper presented at the Americas Conference on Information Systems 2009 (AMCIS).Google Scholar
- Bernhardt, J., & Seese, D. (2009). A Conceptual Framework for the Governance of Service-Oriented Architectures. Service-Oriented Computing - ICSOC 2008 Workshops, (5472).Google Scholar
- Bieberstein, N., Bose, S., Fiammante, M., Jones, K., & Shah, R. (2006). Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Compass: Business Value, Planning, and Enterprise Roadmap (1st Edition ed.). Upper Saddle River: IBM.Google Scholar
- Brown, W., Moore, G., & Tegan, W. (August 2006). SOA Governance – IBM’s Approach. Retrieved from: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/soa/pdf/SOA_Gov_Process_Overview.pdf.
- de Leusse, P., Dimitrakos, T., & Brossard, D. (2009). 6–10 July 2009). A Governance Model for SOA. Paper presented at the IEEE international conference on web services, 2009. Icws, 2009.Google Scholar
- Derler, P., & Weinreich, R. (2007). Models and tools for SOA governance. In D. Draheim & G. Weber (Eds.), Trends in Enterprise Application Architecture (Vol. 4473, pp. 112–126). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Ezzy, D. (2002). Qualitative Analysis: Practice and innovation. Crows Nest: Allen & Unwin.Google Scholar
- Falkl, J., Laird, R. G., Kreger, H., & Carrato, T. (August 2009). IBM Advantage for SOA Governance Standards. Retrieved from: http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/dw/webservices/ws-soagovernanceadv/ws-soagovernanceadv-pdf.pdf.
- Grant, K., Hackney, R., & Edgar, D. (2010). Strategic information systems management. Hampshire: Course Technology, Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Hojaji, F., & Shirazi, M. R. A. (2010a, 9–11 July 2010). AUT SOA governance: A new SOA governance framework based on COBIT. Paper presented at the 2010 3rd IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (ICCSIT), Chengdu.Google Scholar
- Hojaji, F., & Shirazi, M. R. A. (2010b, 5–10 July 2010). A Comprehensive SOA Governance Framework Based on COBIT. Paper presented at the 2010 6th World Congress on Services (SERVICES-1), Miami.Google Scholar
- Hojaji, F., & Shirazi, M. R. A. (2010c, 16–18 April 2010). Developing a more comprehensive and expressive SOA governance framework. Paper presented at the 2010 The 2nd IEEE International Conference on Information Management and Engineering (ICIME), Chengdu.Google Scholar
- Hojaji, F., & Shirazi, M. R. A. (2012). A design science approach to develop a new comprehensive SOA governance framework. International Journal of Managing Information Technology (IJMIT), 4(3). doi: 10.5121/ijmit.2012.4304.
- Hojaji, F., & Shirazi, M. R. A. (2013). Developing a more comprehensive SOA governance framework by using a comparative study approach. Iranian Journal of Information Processing Management, 28(4), 1103–1125.Google Scholar
- Holley, K., Palistrant, J., & Graham, S. (2006). Effective SOA Governace. On demand business. Retrieved from: http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/industries/global/files/educ_soa_gov_process_overview.pdf.
- ISACA. (2009). The Risk IT Framework. Retrieved from http://www.isaca.org/Knowledge-Center/Research/Documents/Risk-IT-Framework_fmk_Eng_0610.pdf.
- ISACA. (2012). COBIT 5 - a business framework for the governance and management of enterprise IT Retrieved from http://www.isaca.org/COBIT/Pages/COBIT-5-Framework-product-page.aspx.
- ITGI. (2007a). Control Objectives for Information and Relates Technology (CoBIT) 4.1 Retrieved from http://www.isaca.org/Knowledge-Center/cobit/Documents/CobiT_4.1.pdf.
- ITGI. (2007b). Enterprise Value: Governance of IT Investments - The Val IT Framework 2.0 Retrieved from http://www.isaca.org/Knowledge-Center/Val-IT-IT-Value-Delivery-/Documents/Val-IT-Framework-2-0_fmk_Eng_0708.pdf.
- Josuttis, N. M. (2007). SOA in practice - The Art of Distributed System Design. Sebastopol: O’Reilly Media.Google Scholar
- Keen, M., Adamski, D., Basu, I., Chilcott, P., Eames, M., Endrei, M.,... Seabury, S. D. (December 2007). Implementing technology to support SOA governance and management Retrieved from http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247538.pdf.
- Kuang-Yu, P., Shao-Chen, L., & Ming-Tsung, C. (2008, 18–19 Dec. 2008). A Study of Design and Implementation on SOA Governance: A Service Oriented Monitoring and Alarming Perspective. Paper presented at the IEEE International Symposium on Service-Oriented System Engineering, 2008. SOSE '08.Google Scholar
- Larrivee, B. (2007). SOA: no governance needed. Or Is It? AIIM E-DOC, 21(5), 24–25.Google Scholar
- Laurent, W. (2008). A better era of SOA governance. DM Review, 18(10), 29–29.Google Scholar
- Lundquist, E. (2009). The five next steps in service-oriented architectures. eWeek, 26(19), 22–22.Google Scholar
- Luthria, H., & Rabhi, F. (2008). Organizational Constraints to Realizing Business Value from Service Oriented Architectures: An Empirical Study of Financial Service Institutions. Service-Oriented Computing - Icsoc 2008, Proceedings, 5364, 256–270.Google Scholar
- Luthria, H., Rabhi, F., & Briers, M. (2007). Investigating the potential of service oriented architectures to realize dynamic capabilities. 2nd Ieee Asia-Pacific Services Computing Conference, Proceedings, 390–397.Google Scholar
- Niemann, M., Eckert, J., Repp, N., & Steinmetz, R. (2008). Towards a Generic Governance Model for Service-oriented Architectures. Paper presented at the Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Toronto.Google Scholar
- Niemann, M., Janiesch, C., Repp, N., & Steinmetz, R. (2009, 1–3 June 2009). Challenges of governance approaches for service-oriented architectures. Paper presented at the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Digital Ecosystems and Technologies, 2009. DEST '09.Google Scholar
- Parachuri, D., Badveeti, N., & Mallick, S. (2008, 6–11 July 2008). Light Weight SOA Governance A Case Study. Paper presented at the IEEE Congress on Services - Part I, 2008.Google Scholar
- Poi, S., Sleight, B., Viezel, J., & Snavely, D. (November 2007). Enabling SOA Through organizational Change and Governance - White Paper. Retrieved from ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/solutions/soa/gov/GBS_SOAgov_Org_Change.pdf.
- Rabhi, F. A., Yu, H., Dabous, F. T., & Wu, S. Y. (2007). A service-oriented architecture for financial business processes. Information Systems and eBusiness Management, 5(2), 185–200.Google Scholar
- Smith, F. O. (2008). As SOA adoption solidifies, good governance is recognized as critical next step. Manufacturing Business Technology, 26(6), 48–49.Google Scholar
- SoftwareAG. (2008, 7 March 2011). Best Practices for SOA Governance User Survey. from www.softwareag.com/Corporate/res/SOAGovernanceSurvey.asp.
- Thomas Kohlborn, E. F., Korthaus, A., & Rosemann, M. (2009). Towards a service portfolio management framework. Paper presented at the 20th Australasian conference on information systems. Victoria: Monash University, Melbourne.Google Scholar
- Trochim, W. (2001). Research methods knowledge base. Cincinnati: Atomic Dog Publishing.Google Scholar
- WebMethods. (October 2006, March 2008). SOA Governance - Enabling Sustainable Success with SOA. Retrieved from http://www1.webmethods.com/PDF/whitepapers/SOA_Governance.pdf.
- Weill, P., & Ross, J. W. (2004). How top performers manage IT decision rights for superior results. Cambridge: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Woolf, B. (2006). Introduction to SOA governance. developerWorks, http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ar-servgov/. Retrieved from: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ar-servgov/.
- Yoon, T. E., & Carter, P. E. (2007). Investigating the Antecedents and Benefits of SOA Implementation: A Multi-Case Study Approach. Paper presented at the Americas Conference on Information Systems 2007, Keystone, Colorado.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Y., Xiang, G., & Liu, W. (2009, 26–27 Dec. 2009). On Airlines Sustainable Innovation Driven by SOA Governance. Paper presented at the 2009 International Conference on Information Management, Innovation Management and Industrial Engineering.Google Scholar