In this paper, we present a novel business network construction approach, where the nodes of the network correspond to the names of the companies in a particular stock market index, and its links show the co-occurrence of two company names in daily news. Our approach consists of two phases, in which search for the company names in the news articles and network construction operations are performed, respectively. To increase the quality of results, each article is classified as business news or not business news before these operations, and only the articles that are classified as business news are considered for network construction. The resulting network presents a visualization of the business events and company relationships during the corresponding time period. We study both co-occurrences as well as single occurrences of company names in the articles scanned in our analysis.
KeywordsAlgorithms Business systems Financial systems Networks Text mining
- Batagelj, V., & Mrvar, A. (2009). Pajek—program for large network analysis, http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/. Accessed 20 July 2010.
- Costa, L. D., Oliveira, O. N. Jr., Travieso, G., Rodrigues, F. A., Boas, P. R., & Antiqueira, L. (2008). Analyzing and modeling real-world phenomena with complex networks: a survey of applications, arXiv:0711.3199v3 [physics.soc-ph].Google Scholar
- Erdos, P., & Renyi, A. (1959). On random graphs I. Publicationes Mathematicae Debrecen, 6, 290–297.Google Scholar
- Krebs, V. (2006). Social network analysis, http://www.orgnet.com/netindustry.html. Accessed 10 May 2010.
- Onnela, J. P. (2006). Complex networks in the study of financial and social systems. Ph.D. Thesis, Laboratory of Computational Engineering, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland.Google Scholar
- Onnela, J. P. (2002). Taxonomy of financial assets. M.S. Thesis, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland. Google Scholar
- Onnela, J. P., Chakraborti, A., Kaski, K., & Kertesz, J. (2003a). Dynamic asset trees and Black Monday. Physica A, doi:10.1016/S0378-4371(02)01882-4.
- Onnela, J.-P., Chakraborti, A., Kaski, K., Kertesz, J., & Kanto, A. (2003b). Asset trees and asset graphs in financial markets. PhysicaScripta, T106, 48–54.Google Scholar
- Onnela, J. P., Saramaki, J., Kaski, K., & Kertesz, J. (2006). Financial market—a network perspective. practical fruits of econophysics, Nikkei econophysics III proceedings, Springer, Tokyo, 302–206.Google Scholar
- Zaversnik, M., & Batagelj, V. (2000). Generalized cores, arXiv:cs/0202039v1.Google Scholar