GA-based cloud resource estimation for agent-based execution of bag-of-tasks applications
- 457 Downloads
Executing bag-of-tasks applications in multiple Cloud environments while satisfying both consumers’ budgets and deadlines poses the following challenges: How many resources and how many hours should be allocated? What types of resources are required? How to coordinate the distributed execution of bag-of-tasks applications in resources composed from multiple Cloud providers?. This work proposes a genetic algorithm for estimating suboptimal sets of resources and an agent-based approach for executing bag-of-tasks applications simultaneously constrained by budgets and deadlines. Agents (endowed with distributed algorithms) compose resources and coordinate the execution of bag-of-tasks applications. Empirical results demonstrate that the genetic algorithm can autonomously estimate sets of resources to execute budget-constrained and deadline-constrained bag-of-tasks applications composed of more economical (but slower) resources in the presence of loose deadlines, and more powerful (but more expensive) resources in the presence of large budgets. Furthermore, agents can efficiently and successfully execute randomly generated bag-of-tasks applications in multi-Cloud environments.
KeywordsCloud resource estimation Bag-of-tasks applications Cloud resource management Multiagent systems Genetic algorithms Cloud computing
This work was supported by the Korea Research Foundation Grant funded by the Korean Government (MEST) (KRF-2009-220-D00092) and the DASAN International Faculty Fund (project code: 140316). The authors would like to thank the Guest Editors and the anonymous referees for their comments and suggestions.
- Amazon EC2. (2011). http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/. Accessed 21 July 2011.
- Amazon EC2 FAQs. (2011). http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/faqs/. Accessed 21 July 2011.
- Amazon EC2 instance types. (2011). http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/. Accessed 21 July 2011.
- Amazon EC2 pricing. (2011). http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/. Accessed 21 July 2011.
- Anglano, C., & Canonico, M. (2008). Scheduling algorithms for multiple Bag-of-Task applications on desktop Grids: a knowledge-free approach. In proceedings of the 22nd IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 1–8.Google Scholar
- Bellifemine, F., Poggi, A., & Rimassa, G. (1999). JADE - A FIPA-compliant agent framework. In proceedings of the 4th International Conference and Exhibition on the Practical Application of Intelligent Agents and Multi-Agents, 97–108.Google Scholar
- Bonami, P., Kilinc, M., & Linderoth, J. (2009). Algorithms and Software for Convex Mixed Integer Nonlinear Programs. Technical Report #1664, Computer Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison.Google Scholar
- Candeia, D., Araujo, R., Lopes, R., & Brasileiro, F. (2010). Investigating business-driven cloudburst schedulers for E-science Bag-of-Tasks applications. In proceedings of the 2010 IEEE Second International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, 343–350.Google Scholar
- Da Silva, F. A. B., Carvalho, S., Senger, H., Hruschka, E. R., & De Farias, C. R. G. (2004). Running data mining applications on the grid: A bag-of-tasks approach. In Lagana et al. (Eds.), Computational Science and Its Applications, LNCS 3044 (pp. 168–177). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- De Jong, K. A., & Spears, W. M. (1989). Using genetic algorithms to solve NP-complete problems. In proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Genetic algorithms, 124–132.Google Scholar
- Deb, K. (2001). Multi-objective optimization using evolutionary algorithms (1st ed.). Chichester: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Garey, M. R., & Johnson, D. S. (1990). Computers and intractability: A guide to the theory of NP-Completeness. New York: Freeman.Google Scholar
- Gutierrez-Garcia, J. O., & Sim, K. M. (2010). Agent-based service composition in Cloud computing. In T.-H. Kim et al. (Eds.), GDC/CA 2010, CCIS 121 (pp. 1–10). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Netto, M. A. S., & Buyya, R. (2009). Offer-based scheduling of deadline-constrained Bag-of-Tasks applications for utility computing systems. In proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 1–11.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, A., Newhouse, S., & Darlington, J. (2004). Mapping of scientific workflow within the e-protein project to distributed resources. In proceedings of the UK e-Science All Hands Meeting, 404–409.Google Scholar
- Oprescu, A. M., & Kielmann T. (2010). Bag-of-Tasks scheduling under budget constraints. In proceedings of the 2010 IEEE Second International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, 351–359.Google Scholar
- Rotstan, N., & Meffert, K. (2011). JGAP: java genetic algorithms. http://jgap.sourceforge.net/. Accessed 21 July 2011.
- Salehi, M. A., & Buyya, R. (2010). Adapting market-oriented scheduling policies for Cloud computing. In C.-H. Hsu et al. (Eds.), ICA3PP 2010, Part I, LNCS 6081 (pp. 351–362). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Silberstein, M., Sharov, A., Geiger, D., & Schuster, A. (2009). Gridbot: execution of bags of tasks in multiple grids. In Proceedings of the Conference on High Performance Computing Networking, Storage and Analysis, article 11, 12 pages.Google Scholar
- Silva, J. N., Veiga, L., & Ferreira, P. (2008) Heuristic for resources allocation on utility computing infrastructures. In proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Middleware for Grid Computing, Article 9, p. 6Google Scholar
- Sim, K. M. (2009). Agent-based Cloud commerce. In proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, 717–721.Google Scholar
- Sim, K. M. (2010). Towards complex negotiation for cloud economy. In Chang et al. (Eds.), GPC 2010, LNCS 6104 (pp. 395–406). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Smith, W., Foster, I. T., & Taylor, V. E. (1998). Predicting application run times using historical information. In D. G. Feitelson & L. Rudolph (Eds.), JSSPP’98, LNCS 1459 (pp. 122–142). Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Sulistio, A., & Buyya, R. (2005). A time optimization algorithm for scheduling Bag-of-Task applications in auction-based proportional share systems. In proceedings of the 17th International Symposium on Computer Architecture on High Performance Computing, 235–242.Google Scholar
- Wooldridge, M. (2009). An introduction to multiagent systems (2nd ed.). Chichester: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Yu, J., Buyya, R., & Khong Tham, C. (2005). Cost-based scheduling of scientific workflow application on utility Grids. In proceedings of the 1st International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing, 140–147.Google Scholar