Modeling the influence of network delay on the user experience in distributed home-automation networks
Today’s modern home-automation systems and services (HASS) frequently communicate over public telecommunications networks, such as the Internet. Unfortunately, these communication networks do not usually provide sufficient quality (i.e., a predictable delay), which is generally assured in fieldbus HASS networks. Consequently, the user-perceived quality of experience (QoE) cannot be maintained at a satisfactory level when using different HASS devices communicating over an IP-based network. The data transferred over the Internet can experience a non-negligible delay that can have a considerable influence on the QoE. For this reason, the main goal of our research was to measure the influence of the network delay on a subjective QoE assessment, while interacting with some frequently used HASS tasks. The results show that users are satisfied if the delay is kept below 0.8 s, and that they can tolerate delays of over 2 s (depending on the level of the HASS task interactivity). Since such a user-perceived subjective QoE assessment is both time-consuming and expensive we also propose objective QoE assessment models to represent the influence of network delay on a subjective QoE assessment for various HASS tasks.
KeywordsQuality of experience Home-automation system and services Network delay Subjective QoE assessment Objective QoE assessment model
- Anderson, J. (2001). Methods for measuring perceptual speech quality—White paper. Retrieved from http://www.agilent.com.
- BACnet. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.bacnet.org.
- Bouch, A., Kuchinsky, A., & Bhatti, N. (2000a). Quality is in the eye of the beholder: Meeting users’ requirements for internet quality of service. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Hague, Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Bouch, A., Sasse, M. A., & DeMeer, H. (2000b). Of packets and people: A user-centered approach to quality of service. Proceedings of Eight International Workshop of Quality of Service, Pittsburg, USA.Google Scholar
- Cavalieri, S., & Cutuili, G. (2008). Proposal and evalution of deterministic access in KNX standard. IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Cambridge, England.Google Scholar
- Chen, Z., Shao, G., Lou, R., Liang, B., Yu, H., & Ni, J. (2007). Analysis of control network timing characteristics. IEEE International Conference on Computer as a Tool, Warsaw, Poland.Google Scholar
- Clark, A. (2001). Modeling the effects of burst packet loss and recency on subjective voice quality. IP Telephony Workshop. Retrieved from http://www.ocecpr.org.cy/media/documents/Reports/ElectronicCom/EC_Publication_Model-EffOfBurstPacketLoss-RecencyOnSVQ_EN_13-08-2003_VI.pdf.
- De Rango, F., Tropea, M., Fazio, P., & Marano, S. (2006). Overview on VoIP: subjective and objective measurement methods. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, 6(1), 140–153.Google Scholar
- Empirix (2001). Assuring QoE on next generation networks. Retrieved from http://www.triple-play-news.com/voip/whitepapers/whitepaper_NGNT_AssuringQoE.pdf.
- Godana, B. E., Kooij, B. E., Ahmed, O. K. (2009). Impact of advertisements during channel zapping on quality of experience. IEEE Fifth International Conference on Networking and Services, Valencia, Spain.Google Scholar
- Humar, I. (2006). Telecommunications traffic modeling and methods ensuring quality of services for interactive applications, such as remote desktop and e-learning. PhD thesis, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.Google Scholar
- Humar, I., Lamovšek, P., Bogataj, U., Meglič, B., & Bešter, J. (2007). Extention of the E-model for objective assessment of the jitter impact on the perceived voice quality in packet networks. Electrotechnical Review, 74(3), 159–165.Google Scholar
- ITU-R Rec. BS.1387 (2001). Method for objective measurements of perceived audio quality. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.1387/en.
- ITU-R Rec. BT.500-11 (2002). Methodology for the subjective assessment of the quality of television pictures. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-r/opb/rec/R-REC-LS-2004-PDF-E.pdf.
- ITU-T Rec. G.107 (2003). The E-model, a computational model for use in transmission planning. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/aap/sg12aap/history/g107/index.html.
- ITU-T Rec. G.1070 (2007). Opinion model for video-telephony applications. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/md/T05-SG09-070614-TD-GEN-0474/en.
- ITU-T Rec. J.144 (2004). Objective perceptual video quality measurement techniques for digital cable television in the presence of a full reference. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/aap/sg9aap/history/j144/index.html.
- ITU-T Rec. J.148 (2003). Requirements for an objective perceptual multimedia quality model. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/aap/sg9aap/history/j148/index.html.
- ITU-T Rec. P.564 (2006). Conformance testing for narrowband voice over IP transmission quality assessment models. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/aap/sg12aap/history/p564/index.html.
- ITU-T Rec. P.800 (1996). Methods for subjective determination of transmission quality. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-P.800/en.
- ITU-T Rec. P.862 (2001). Perceptual evaluation of speech quality (PESQ): An objective method for end-to-end speech quality assessment of narrowband telephone networks and speech codecs. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/aap/sg12aap/history/p862/index.html.
- Kang, J. S. (2001). A study of subjective quality measurement over VoIP network. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Info-Tech and Info-Net, 5, 311–316, Beijing, China.Google Scholar
- Khirmam, S., & Henriksen, P. (2002). Relationship between quality of service and quality of experience for public internet service. In the third workshop on passive and active measurement, Fort Collens, Colorado, USA.Google Scholar
- Kitawaki, N., Arayama, Y., & Yamada, T. (2005). Multimedia opinion model based on media interaction of audio-visual communications. Proceedings of the fourth International Conference on Measurement of speech and Measurement of Speech and Audio Quality in Networks, 5–10, Prague, Czech Republic.Google Scholar
- Konnex (n.d.). Retrieved from www.knx.org.
- Kooij, R., Ahmed, K., & Brunnström, K. (2006). Perceived quality of channel zapping. The fifth International Conference Communication Systems and Networks, 155–158, Palma De Mallorca, Spain.Google Scholar
- LonWorks (n.d.). Retrieved from www.lonmark.org.
- Merz, H., Hansemann, T., & Hubner, C. (2009). Building automation and communication systems with Konnex, LON and BACnet. Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Miškowiez, M. (2003). Analysis of the LonTalk/EIA-709.1 channel performance under soft real-time requirements. IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology, 2, 705–708. Maribor, Slovenia.Google Scholar
- Nielsen, J. (2000). Designing web usability: The practice of simplicity. Indianapolis: New Riders Publishing.Google Scholar
- Ninagawa, C., Sato, T., & Kawakita, Y. (2008). Communication performance simulation for object access of BACnet WebService building facility monitoring system. IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, 701–704, Hamburg, Germany.Google Scholar
- Profibus (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.profibus.com.
- Selvidge, P. (2003). Examining tolerance for online delays. Usability News, 1(5). Retrieved from http://www.surl.org/usabilitynews/archives.asp.
- Servidge, P. (1999). How long is too long to wait for a web site to load?. Usability News, 1(2). Retrieved from http://www.surl.org/usabilitynews/12/time_delay.asp.
- Sevcik, P. J. (2002). Understanding how users view application performance. Business Communications Review, 7(32), 8–10.Google Scholar
- Welsh, J., & Clark, J. (2006). A proposed media delivery index RFC 4445. Retrieved from http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4445.txt.
- Wolberg, J. (2005). Data analysis using the method of least squares: extracting the most information from experiments. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Yamagishi, K., & Hayashi, T. (2006b). Opinion model for estimating video quality of videophone services. IEEE Global Telecommunication Conference GLOBECOM, 1–5, San Francisco, USA.Google Scholar
- Yamagishi, K., & Hayashi, T. (2006c). Verification of video quality opinion model for videophone services. Second ISCA/DEGA Tutorial and Research Workshop on Perceptual Quality of Systems, 143–148, Berlin, Germany.Google Scholar
- Yamagishi, K., & Hayashi, T. (2008). Parametric packet-layer model for monitoring video quality of IPTV Services. IEEE International Conference on Communications, 110–114. doi:10.1109/ICC.2008.29.
- Zhang W., & He, J. (2007). Statistical modeling and correlation analysis of end-to-end delay in wide area networks. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking, and Parallel/Distributed Computing, 3, 968–973, Qingdao, China.Google Scholar