The impact of ocular manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis on the health-related quality of life and the functional ability of black Africans
- 20 Downloads
Objectives To determine the patterns, predictors and overall impact of ocular manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) on the health-related quality of life and disability index.
A total of 50 Nigerian patients with RA were studied. Full ocular evaluation was done to determine the presence of each defined ocular manifestation of RA. All patients completed the Medical Outcome Study 36-Item Short Form Health Survey (SF-36) and the Health Assessment Questionnaire-Disability Index (HAQ-DI) questionnaires.
The mean ± SD age of the patients was 47.2 ± 12.5 years. A total of 42 cases of ocular diseases were found in 23 (46%) patients. Keratoconjunctivitis sicca was found in 15 (30%) patients; cataract, 13 (26%); scleritis/episcleritis, 4 (8%); disk edema, 4 (8%); glaucoma, 3 (6%); ulcerative keratitis, 1 (2%); vitreitis, 1 (2%); and macula edema, 1 (2%) patient. There is an association of the presence of ocular manifestations with the physical component summary (PCS) [T = − 3.398, P = 0.001] and the mental component summary (MCS) [T = − 2.616, 0.012] of the SF-36 but not with the HAQ-DI (T = 1.685, 0.099). Following multiple regression analysis, the predictors of the presence of ocular manifestations were age greater than 45 years and positive anti-citrullinated protein antibody. Following linear regression analyses, Steinbrocker’s functional class independently predicted the PCS while both Steinbrocker’s functional class and female sex predicted the MCS.
The development of ocular disorders associated with RA is associated with a significant negative impact on the quality of life of the patients.
KeywordsRheumatoid arthritis Ocular manifestations Quality of life
Anti-citrullinated protein antibody
Clinical Disease Activity Index
Health Assessment Questionnaire-Disability Index
Health-related quality of life
Medical Outcome Study 36-Item Short Form Health Survey
Physical component summary
Mental component summary
Biologic disease modifying antirheumatic drug
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki Declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 3.Vignesh APP, Srinivasan R (2015) Ocular manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis and their correlation with anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibodies. Clin Ophthalmol (Auckl, NZ) 9:393–397Google Scholar
- 12.Ohagwu K, Olaosebikan H, Oba R et al (2017) Pattern of rheumatoid arthritis in Nigeria; study of patients from a Teaching Hospital. Afr J Rheumatol 5(2):45–49Google Scholar
- 15.Maska L, Anderson J, Michaud K (2011) Measures of functional status and quality of life in rheumatoid arthritis: Health Assessment Questionnaire Disability Index (HAQ), Modified Health Assessment Questionnaire (MHAQ), Multidimensional Health Assessment Questionnaire (MDHAQ), Health Assessment Questionnaire II (HAQ-II), Improved Health Assessment Questionnaire (Improved HAQ), and Rheumatoid Arthritis Quality of Life (RAQoL). Arthritis Care Res 63(Suppl 11):S4–S13CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Rannou F, Poiraudeau S, Berezne A et al (2007) Assessing disability and quality of life in systemic sclerosis: construct validities of the Cochin Hand Function Scale, Health Assessment Questionnaire (HAQ), Systemic Sclerosis HAQ, and Medical Outcomes Study 36-Item Short Form Health Survey. Arthritis Rheum 57(1):94–102CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Polanska V, Hlinomazova Z, Fojtik Z et al (2007) Dry eye syndrome in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Ceska a slovenska oftalmologie: casopis Ceske oftalmologicke spolecnosti a Slovenske oftalmologicke spolecnosti 63(6):422–430Google Scholar
- 24.Al-Bedri K, Al-Quriashi NKM, Gorial FI et al (2015) Ocular manifestations in rheumatoid arthritis: a descriptive cross-sectional study from Iraq. Int J Sci Stud 3(8):61–66Google Scholar
- 25.Charanya C, Swathi A, Janti S et al (2015) Ocular manifestation in rheumatoid arthritis patients presenting to tertiary care hospital in south India: a prospective study. Int J Sci Stud 3(8):61–66Google Scholar
- 28.Mokudai Y, Watanabe M, Fukushima A et al (1998) Keratoconjunctivitis sicca in patients with rheumatoid arthritis-Prevalence and correlation with tear lactoferrin concentration. Folia Ophthalmol Jpn 49:582–585Google Scholar