Sub-inner limiting membrane hemorrhage in a patient with Terson syndrome
- 119 Downloads
To report a case of bilateral Terson Syndrome with sub inner limiting membrane hemorrhage associated with a rare finding: perimacular fold.
The patient, a 34 years old female with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage and bilateral Terson syndrome was admitted to the Ophthalmology department, complaining of blurred vision. Core vitrectomy, hyaloid detachment, peeling of the ILM and aspiration of the sub inner limiting membrane hemorrhage was performed. Once the inner limiting membrane of the left eye was peeled off, we noticed a particular aspect: the perimacular fold.
Although our patient suffered from a massive vitreous haemorrhage the postoperative outcome was favorable with a final best corrected visual acuity of 20/30.
In patients with billateral Terson syndrome we recommend early surgery, especially if the neurological status allows it, a good visual acuity being helpful for the neurophysical rehabilitation of the patient.
KeywordsTerson syndrome Vitreous hemorrhage Sub-inner limiting membrane hemorrhage Subarachnoid hemorrhage Vitrectomy
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interests.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors. This article does not contain any studies with animals performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from the individual in this case report.
- 1.http://www.academia.edu/13868826/Terson_syndrome_in_subarachnoid_hemorrhage_intracerebral_hemorrhage_ and_traumatic_brain_injury
- 2.Kim US, Yu SY, Kwak HW (2002) Incidence and postoperative visual outcome of Terson’s syndrome. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc 43:2451–2456Google Scholar
- 3.Frizzel RT, Kuhn F, Morris R, Quinn C, Fisher WS III (1997) Screening for ocular hemorrhages in patients with ruptured cerebral aneurysms: a prospective study of 99 patients. Neurosurgery 41:529–533 Discussion 33–34 Google Scholar
- 6.Iuliano L, Fogliato G, Codenotti M (2014) Intrasurgical imaging of subinternal limiting membrane blood diffusion in terson syndrome. Case Rep Ophthalmol Med 2014:689793Google Scholar
- 7.Azzi TT, Zacharias LC, Pimentel SL (2014) Spontaneous absorption of extensive subinternal limiting membrane hemorrhage in shaken baby syndrome. Case Rep Ophthalmol Med 2014:360829Google Scholar
- 9.Hua R, Liu LM, Hu YD, Zhou Y, Chen L (2013) Combine intravitreal bevacizumab with Nd: YAG laser hyaloidotomy for valsalva pre-macular haemorrhage and observe the internal limiting membrane changes: a spectralis study. Int J Ophthalmol 6(2):242–245Google Scholar