Vitreoretinal surgery for optic pit associated serous macular detachment: a discussion of two cases
- 49 Downloads
Purpose: To report the successful surgical outcome of two patients with a serous macular detachment and cystoid macular edema associated with a congenital optic nerve pit. Method: Case reports. Two patients with a serous macular detachment associated with a congenital optic nerve pit were treated with 360° peripapillary endophotocoagulation during vitrectomy, attempted internal subretinal fluid drainage, and fluid–gas exchange. Results: In both cases, the retina remained attached during a follow-up period of 6 months, and the patient’s vision improved dramatically. One patient improved from the counting finger level to 20/70, and the other improved from 20/200 to 20/70. Conclusion: The use of 360° peripapillary endophotocoagulation after pars plana vitrectomy for the treatment of optic nerve pit associated retinal detachment resulted in excellent visual acuity and anatomic reattachment. Attempted internal subretinal fluid drainage was unsuccessful and did not contribute to the success of the case.
Keywordsendophotocoagulation macular detachment optic pit retinal detachment retinotomy subretinal fluid drainage vitrectomy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, GC, Brown, MM 1995Repair of retinal detachment associated with congenital excavated defects of the optic disc.Ophthalmic Surg261115Google Scholar
- Billi, B, Lesnoni, G, Giuliano, M, Rossi, T, Stirpe, M 1996Post-traumatic macular break associated to congenital optic disc pit and pre-existing sensory macular detachment.Int Ophthalmol20269272Google Scholar
- Bonnet, M 1991Serous macular detachment associated with optic nerve pits.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol229526532Google Scholar
- Postel, EA, Pulido, JS, McNamara, JA, Johnson, MW 1998The etiology and treatment of macular detachment associated with optic nerve pits and related anomalies.Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc967388Google Scholar
- Brockhurst, RJ 1976Optic pits and posterior retinal detachment.Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc73264291Google Scholar
- Annesley, W, Brown, G, Bolling, J, Goldberg, R, Fischer, D 1987Treatment of retinal detachment with congenital optic pit by krypton laser photocoagulation.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol225311314Google Scholar
- Schatz, H, McDonald, HR 1988Treatment of sensory retinal detachment associated with optic nerve pit or coloboma.Ophthalmology95178186Google Scholar
- Cox, MS, Witherspoon, CD, Morris, RE, Flynn, HW 1988Evolving techniques in the treatment of macular detachment caused by optic nerve pits.Ophthalmology95889896Google Scholar
- Snead, MP, James, N, Jacobs, PM 1991Vitrectomy, argon laser, and gas tamponade for serous retinal detachment associated with an optic disc pit: a case report.Br J Ophthalmol75381382Google Scholar
- Lee, KJ, Peyman, GA 1993Surgical management of retinal detachment associated with optic nerve pit.Int Ophthalmol17105107Google Scholar
- Sobol, WM, Blodi, CF, Folk, JC, Weingeist, TA 1990Long-term visual outcome in patients with optic nerve pit and serous retinal detachment of the macula.Ophthalmology9715391542Google Scholar