The orchestration of a collaborative information seeking learning task
- 728 Downloads
The paper describes our novel perspective on ‘searching to learn’ through collaborative information seeking (CIS). We describe this perspective, which motivated empirical work to ‘orchestrate’ a CIS searching to learn session. The work is described through the lens of orchestration, an approach which brings to the fore the ways in which: background context—including practical classroom constraints, and theoretical perspective; actors—including the educators, researchers, and technologies; and activities that are to be completed, are brought into alignment. The orchestration is exemplified through the description of research work designed to explore a pedagogically salient construct (epistemic cognition), in a particular institutional setting. Evaluation of the session indicated satisfaction with the orchestration from students, with written feedback indicating reflection from them on features of the orchestration. We foreground this approach to demonstrate the potential of orchestration as a design approach for researching and implementing CIS as a ‘searching to learn’ context.
KeywordsCollaborative information seeking Searching to learn Computer supported collaborative learning Educational technology
The work reported in this paper was conducted while the first author was a Ph.D. candidate at the Open University, UK, to whom he extends thanks. Thanks too to Dr Dirk Tempelaar’s lab assistants at Maastricht University, who assisted in supporting the lab-based orchestration.
- Amershi, S., & Morris, M. R. (2008). CoSearch: A system for co-located collaborative web search. In Proceeding of the Twenty-Sixth Annual SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1647–1656. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/merrie/papers/cosearch.pdf.
- Amershi, S., & Morris, M. R. (2009). Co-located collaborative web search, p. 3637. ACM Press. doi: 10.1145/1520340.1520547.
- Ba, H., Tally, W., & Tsikalas, K. (2002). Investigating children’s emerging digital literacies. The Journal of Technology, Learning and Assessment, 1(4). http://www.edtechpolicy.org/ArchivedWebsites/JCTE/v1n4_jtla1.pdf.
- Barzilai, S., & Zohar, A. (2009). The Role of Epistemic Thinking in Online Learning. In Proceedings of the Chais Conference on Instructional Technologies Research 2009: Learning in the Technological Era. Raanana: The Open University of Israel. http://telem-pub.openu.ac.il/users/chais/2009/morning/1_2.pdf. Accessed 27 January 2012.
- Bateman, S., Gutwin, C. A., & McCalla, G. I. (2013). Social navigation for loosely-coupled information seeking in tightly-knit groups using webwear. In Proceedings of the 2013 Conference on Computer supported Cooperative Work, pp. 955–966. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2441885. Accessed 12 May 2013.
- Bloom, B. S. (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives, handbook 1: Cognitive domain (2nd ed.). Boston: Addison Wesley Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Bråten, I., & Weinstein, C. E. (2004). Internet-specific epistemological questionnaire (ISEQ). Austin, TX: Department of Educational Psychology, University of Texas at Austin.Google Scholar
- Ferguson, R. (2012). The state of learning analytics in 2012: A review and future challenges (Technical Report No. kmi-12-01). Knowledge Media Institute: The Open University, UK. http://kmi.open.ac.uk/publications/pdf/kmi-12-01.pdf. Accessed 22 October 2012.
- Golovchinsky, G., & Diriye, A. (2011). Session-based search with Querium. In Proceedings of the HCIR 2011 Workshop, Mountain View, CA, USA. http://fxpal.com/publications/FXPAL-PR-11-660.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2013.
- Golovchinsky, G., Adcock, J., Pickens, J., Qvarfordt, P., & Back, M. (2008). Cerchiamo: A collaborative exploratory search tool. In Proceedings of Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). http://fxpal.fxpal.com/publications/FXPAL-PR-08-470.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2013.
- Gubbels, M., Rose, A., Russell, D., & Bederson, B. B. (2012). SearchParty: Real-time Support for Social Learning in Synchronous Environments (No. HCIL-2012-21). Human-Computer Interaction Lab, University of Maryland. http://hcil2.cs.umd.edu/trs/2012-21/2012-21.pdf. Accessed 19 October 2012.
- Heilman, J. M., Kemmann, E., Bonert, M., Chatterjee, A., Ragar, B., Beards, G. M., et al. (2011). Wikipedia: A key tool for global public health promotion. Journal of medical Internet research, 13(1). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc3221335/. Accessed 6 April 2015.
- Hofer, B. K. (2001). Personal epistemology research: Implications for learning and teaching. Educational Psychology Review, 13(4), 353–383. http://www.springerlink.com/index/R6R6241GP87047K6.pdf. Accessed 24 October 2012.
- Knight, S. (2012). Finding knowledge—The role of dialogue in collaborative information retrieval in the classroom (master’s). Cambridge: University of Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Knight, S. (2015). Learning Indicators in SCIS Tasks. In 1st edition of the international workshop on the Evaluation on Collaborative Information Seeking and Retrieval ECol 2015. Presented at the 24th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2015), Melbourne, Australia: ACM. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2812376.2812378.
- Knight, S. (2016). Developing Learning Analytics for Epistemic Commitments in a Collaborative Information Seeking Environment (Ph.D.). Open University, Milton Keynes, UK. Retrieved from http://oro.open.ac.uk/46143/.
- Knight, S., Arastoopour, G., Williamson Shaffer, D., Buckingham Shum, S., & Littleton, K. (2014). Epistemic networks for epistemic commitments. In International Conference of the Learning Sciences. Boulder, CO: International Society of the Learning Sciences. http://oro.open.ac.uk/39254/. Accessed 11 November 2013.
- Knight, S., & Littleton, K. (2015). Thinking, Interthinking, and technological tools. In R. Wegerif, L. Li, & J. C. Kaufman (Eds.), The routledge international handbook of research on teaching thinking (p. section 7(al)). Routledge. http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415747493/.
- Knight, S., & Littleton, K. (2016). Learning through Collaborative Information Seeking. In P. Hansen, C. Shah, & C.-P. Klas (Eds.), Collaborative information seeking: Best practices, new domains, new thoughts. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Lin, C., & Tsai, C. (2008). Exploring the structural relationships between high school students’ scientific epistemological views and their utilization of information commitments toward online science information. International Journal of Science Education, 30(15), 2001–2022. doi: 10.1080/09500690701613733.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Livingstone, S., Bober, M., & Helsper, E. (2005). Internet literacy among children and young people: Findings from the UK Children Go Online project. London: LSE Research Online. http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/397/1/UKCGOonlineLiteracy.pdf. Accessed 10 October 2011.
- Moraveji, N., Morris, M. R., Morris, D., Czerwinski, M., & Henry Riche, N. (2011). ClassSearch: Facilitating the development of web search skills through social learning. In Proceedings of the 2011 Annual Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 1797–1806.Google Scholar
- Morris, M. R., & Horvitz, E. (2007). SearchTogether: An interface for collaborative web search. In Proceedings of the 20th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pp. 3–12. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1294215. Accessed 29 April 2013.
- Mozilla. (2014). Firefox. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/. Accessed 6 April 2015.
- Newman, K., Knight, S., Elbeshausen, S., & Hansen, P. (2016). Situating CIS—The importance of context in collaborative information seeking. In P. Hansen, C. Shah, & C.-P. Klas (Eds.), Collaborative information seeking: Best practices, new domains, new thoughts. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2013). PISA 2015: Draft reading literacy framework. OECD Publishing. http://www.oecd.org/pisa/pisaproducts/Draft%20PISA%202015%20Reading%20Framework%20.pdf. Accessed 22 April 2014.
- Paul, S., A., & Morris, M. R. (2009). CoSense: Enhancing sensemaking for collaborative web search. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1771–1780). New York, NY, USA: ACM. doi: 10.1145/1518701.1518974.
- Prieto, L. P., Holenko Dlab, M., Gutiérrez, I., Abdulwahed, M., & Balid, W. (2011). Orchestrating technology enhanced learning: A literature review and a conceptual framework. International Journal of Technology Enhanced Learning, 3(6), 583–598. http://www.inderscienceonline.com/doi/abs/10.1504/IJTEL.2011.045449. Accessed 8 August 2016.
- Rouet, J.-F. (2006). The skills of document use: From text comprehension to web-based learning (1st ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, H. G., Molen, H. T. V. D., Winkel, W. W. R. T., & Wijnen, W. H. F. W. (2009). Constructivist, problem-based learning does work: A meta-analysis of curricular comparisons involving a single medical school. Educational Psychologist, 44(4), 227–249. doi: 10.1080/00461520903213592.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schraw, G. (2013). Conceptual integration and measurement of epistemological and ontological beliefs in educational research. ISRN Education. http://www.hindawi.com/isrn/education/aip/327680/. Accessed 15 January 2013.
- Shah, C. (2010). Coagmento-a collaborative information seeking, synthesis and sense-making framework. Integrated demo at CSCW, 6–11. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/connect/CSCW_10/docs/p527.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2013.
- Shah, C. (2012a). Information retrieval: Collaborative information seeking: The art and science of making the whole greater than the sum of all. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Shah, C. (2012b). Coagmento: A case study in designing. In E. Currás & N. L. Romero (Eds.), Systems science and collaborative information systems: Theories, practices and new research: Theories, practices and new research (p. 242). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/coagmento-case-study-designing-user/61295. Accessed 13 June 2015.
- Shah, C. (2013). Effects of awareness on coordination in collaborative information seeking. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, n/a–n/a. doi: 10.1002/asi.22819.
- Shah, C. (2014). Coagmento. http://coagmento.org/. Accessed 6 April 2015.
- Shah, C., Marchionini, G., & Kelly, D. (2009). Learning design principles for a collaborative information seeking system. In CHI’09 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 3419–3424). ACM. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1520496. Accessed 20 April 2015.
- Singh, R., Hsu, Y.-W., & Moon, N. (2013). Multiple perspective interactive search: A paradigm for exploratory search and information retrieval on the web. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 62(2), 507–543. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11042-011-0910-2. Accessed 27 August 2013.
- SQW. (2011). Evaluation of the home access programme—Final report. DCSF. https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/DFE-RR132.pdf. Accessed 14 October 2011.
- Sundin, O., & Johannisson, J. (2005). The instrumentality of information needs and relevance. In F. Crestani & I. Ruthven (Eds.), Context: Nature, impact, and role (Vol. 3507, pp. 107–118). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg. http://www.springerlink.com/content/gb5gfmg8xn8u3gtx/. Accessed 31 January 2012.
- Tempelaar, D. T., Niculescu, A., Rienties, B., Gijselaers, W. H., & Giesbers, B. (2012). How achievement emotions impact students’ decisions for online learning, and what precedes those emotions. The Internet and Higher Education, 15(3), 161–169. doi: 10.1016/j.iheduc.2011.10.003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tseng, J. C. R., Hwang, G.-J., Tsai, P.-S., & Tsai, C.-C. (2009). Meta-analyzer: A web-based learning environment for analyzing student information searching behaviors. Computing, Information and Control, 5(3), 567–579. http://www.ijicic.org/icic07-is03-12-1.pdf. Accessed 18 September 2014.
- Wildemuth, B. M., & Freund, L. (2012). Assigning search tasks designed to elicit exploratory search behaviors. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Human-Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval (pp. 4:1–4:10). New York, NY, USA: ACM. doi: 10.1145/2391224.2391228.
- Yue, Z., Han, S., & He, D. (2012). Search tactics in collaborative exploratory web search. In Proceedings of HCIR 2012. Cambridge, MA. http://crystal.exp.sis.pitt.edu:8080/ips/paper/hcir2012_cs.pdf. Accessed 29 April 2013.