In this paper I combine aspects of process philosophy and elements from philosophies of difference in order to give some indication of how we might begin to construct a metaphysics of contemporary science. I will focus on the work of Whitehead and Deleuze as representatives of each respective tradition and try to show how their work can be fruitfully articulated together in the context of complexity theory.
KeywordsProcess difference ontology metaphysics immanence complexity self-organization transcendental constructivism creativity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bradley, J. (1994). Transcendentalism and speculative realism in Whitehead. Process Studies, 23(3), 155–190.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, G. (1988). Spinoza: Practical philosophy (R. Hurley, Trans.). San Francisco: City Light Books. (Original work published 1970)Google Scholar
- Deleuze, G. (1994). Difference and repetition (P. Patton, Trans.). London: Athlone Press. (Original work published 1968)Google Scholar
- Delueze, G., & Guattari, F. (1994). What is philosophy? (G. Burchell & H. Tomlinson, Trans.). London, New York: Verso. (Original work published 1991)Google Scholar
- Goodwin, B. (1990). The evolution of generic forms. In J.M. Smith & G. Vida (Eds.), Organizational constraints on the dynamics of evolution (pp. 113–114). Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Goodwin, B. (1994). How the leopard changed its spots. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Kant, I. (1986). Critique of pure reason (N. Kemp Smith, Trans.). Basingstoke: Macmillan. (Original work published 1787)Google Scholar
- Kauffman, S. (1995). At home in the universe. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Sherburne, D. (1983). Whitehead, categories, and the completion of the Copernican Revolution. The Monist, 66, 367–386.Google Scholar
- Whitehead, A.N. (1959). Symbolism. New York: Capricorn Books. (Original work published 1927)Google Scholar
- Whitehead, A.N. (1978). Process and reality. New York: The Free Press. (Original work published 1929)Google Scholar
- Whitehead, A.N. (1967). Adventures of ideas. New York: The Free Press. (Original work published 1933)Google Scholar