Stability and Initial Post-Buckling Behavior of Orthotropic Cylindrical Sandwich Shells with Unidirectional Elastic Filler
- 2 Downloads
The problem of the stability and initial post-buckling behavior of sandwich shells with transversely elastic light-weight filler is solved. The governing system of nonlinear equations is derived with allowance for structural discreteness that allows independent deformation of load-bearing layers. The system is solved with the asymptotic Koiter–Budiansky method. Structures composed of two cylindrical carbon-fiber shells interacting through a spring-type filler are analyzed. It is shown that the critical load under axial compression with like forces falls between the critical loads for the inner and outer shells. In the post-buckling state, the bending modes may be different. It is rational to increase the filler stiffness to a certain level.
Keywordsstability post-buckling behavior sandwich shell axial compression transversely elastic filler Koiter’s asymptotic method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. A. Vanin and N. P. Semenyuk, Stability of Shells of Composite Materials with Imperfections [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kyiv (1987).Google Scholar
- 2.G. A. Vanin, N. P. Semenyuk, and R. F. Emel’yanov, Stability of Reinforced Shells [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kyiv (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.E. I. Grigolyuk and P. P. Chulkov, Stability and Vibrations of Three-Layer Shells [in Russian], Mashinostroenie, Moscow (1973).Google Scholar
- 4.P. L. Pasternak, Fundamentals of the Method of Designing Foundations on an Elastic Bed Using Two Coefficients of Subgrade Reaction [in Russian], Stroiizdat, Moscow (1954).Google Scholar
- 6.N. Yamaki, “Postbuckling and imperfection sensitivity of circular cylindrical shells under compression,” in: W. T. Koiter (ed), Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, North Holland, Amsterdam (1976), pp. 461–476.Google Scholar
- 8.B. Budiansky, “Theory of buckling and post-buckling behavior of elastic structures,” Adv. Appl. Mech., 14, 2–65 (1974).Google Scholar
- 10.W. T. Koiter, “Elastic stability and post-buckling behavior,” in: Proc. Symp. Nonlinear Problems, Univ. of Wisconsin Press., Madison (1963), pp. 257–275.Google Scholar
- 14.J. R. Vinson, “Sandwich structures: Past, present, future/ Sandwich structures 7: Advancing in sandwich structures and materials,” in: Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Sandwich Structures, 29–31, Aalborg Univ., Denmark (2005).Google Scholar